Career Change - Computers to Psych.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Frog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a BS degree in Computer Science and Mathematics roughly 7 years ago and have been working in a field that is only somewhat related for the past 6 years. I don't much care for what I have been doing and also don't much care for the field of my degree, and so I would like to make a career change. I have found that I have a talent for understanding people and wanting to help them understand themselves better, and I am thinking a career in clinical psychology may be a good place for me.

That said, I am looking for any advice people here may be able to give on my most "time-effective" method of moving in that direction. I have a family and cringe at the prospect of having to go all the way through another UG degree before I can hope to get into a PsyD program. Is there another way (such as taking a few psychology classes) that might take less time and money and yet still prepare me for Graduate study?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have direct experience in the area, research experience, and a strong CV, you will not be competitive for even the interview stage for a doctoral level program. I'd suggest looking at the MA/MS level first, and if you do well and get more experience, you may be able to pursue further education.

Look into masters level community or marriage and family counseling. In many states you can be licensed to practice independently with only a masters. Alternatively, a social work degree may also accomplish your goals in a timely manner.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is definitely a very big decision before you and therefore something that should not be taken lightly. THere is an excellent book on the subject of going into graduate study in psychology that you may want to look at. The book is called "A Step By Step Guide to Getting in" available at

apa.org/books

First off, thank you for the quick replies to my post. I had expected to have to wait a while for an answer and was pleased at how quick it was. :)

This is definitely a very big decision before you and therefore something that should not be taken lightly. THere is an excellent book on the subject of going into graduate study in psychology that you may want to look at. The book is called "A Step By Step Guide to Getting in" available at

apa.org/books

I agree that this is a big decision and not to be taken lightly. I don't really want to end up going through another course of study only to find that when I graduate I actually hate it. Naturally I will be reading and researching a bit more into the field before I jump in, but since I have recently been one of many impacted by corporate layoffs, now seems like a good time to change directions. (No more large corporations for me - not enough concern for their employees.)

Anyway - I appreciate the recommendations and it looks like a Master's is my first step. Now I just have to find out what I have to do for that and where to find good schools. (I know - they're everywhere - but you know what I mean.)

Thanks.

Hey, I'm at the tail end of the process of a career change from law to psychology. I'm in a fairly competitive Psyd program in clinical psych. I faced your decision about further schooling. Here's what I did.

I enrolled as a post-bac non-degree student at my local state university and took about 26 credits of undergrad psych, including biological psych, stats, abnormal, developmental, experimental research methods, social. That I did over about 3 semesters and a summer, but you might be able to do it faster. I had 3 young kids at the time.

Then, I managed to get a couple of profs from those classes to write my recs. Then I studied for the GREs and the Psych GRE. Along the way, I did some volunteer work in an agency and a crisis hotline, as well as a little bit of research work.

Then, I applied to doctoral programs. I got 2 acceptances and a lot more rejections. Probably was a bit light on my research experience, but the more clinically-minded programs (esp. PsyD progs) were somewhat okay with that.

As I think about it, the time I took to do all that might have been about the same as if I went for the Master's. But it was a part-time comfortable pace for me, and I decided early on not to go the MSW or Masters in Counseling route. However, these are viable options if what you want is primarily to do therapy.

Sorry to ramble a bit, but maybe something in my story will be of use to you. My advice is research as many options as you can. There are several different routes that can get you where you want to go, depending on your time and financial constraints, geographic flexibility (can you relocate?), and your career interests.

Good luck.:)

Wow - I just have to say I'm glad I found this forum. Thanks Google. :cool:

Your advice, psychmama, is definitely very good as well. I have a wife and 4 kids I need to provide for and have to closely look at how much time it will take to do what I "think" I want to. If the non-degree studies helped you it may help me as well. (Not saying it will work for me, just that it may work for me.) I would probably need to do some of that either way just to make sure I like the direction.

As far as relocation - well I'm always pretty open. I am from Utah and currently live in the Philippines. I don't have a house tying me down to any one place, though I definitely have family roots. Basically I am open to go wherever I need to as long as it will meet the needs of my family and future.

Sounds like you have some good options. Maybe you could do the psych coursework while continuing your "day job"? Then if you decide to take the plunge, you might be able to get into a program offering some financial assistance. Most of those are at the doctoral level though, and it's more common in Phd programs (Psyd's often are less well-funded due to fewer research responsibilities). A big question to ask yourself is what area of psych really interests you. I definitely recommend the book Career Paths in Psychology: Where Your Degree Can Take You (Sternberg). It's a good overview. How much you enjoy/want to do research is an important question to ask. Psychology emphasizes it more than social work, at least social work at the MSW level. Psyd programs are usually less research-intensive than PhD programs.

Check out some schools in your area and see what's around!:thumbup:

I can relate. What you're proposing is hard, but definitely possible.

I also have a bachelor's degree in computer science, and I spent 8 years as a software engineer. A long story next, but basically I left that field at 32 and shadowed doctors, teachers, social workers, and psychologists at their jobs. Through this process, I discovered psychology was the path for me. I had no psychology background. I did have some significant teaching experience, though, which helped. At that point, I enrolled at my local university, and for the next few quarters took a full-time undergrad psychology course load. (THIS NEXT STEP IS IMPORTANT) I also started volunteering in one of the psychology labs on campus, and spent a good deal of time there. I met a great professor and team of grad students and post-docs, and dove in to the work. I became one of the team. The next fall, I applied to that lab, and was accepted, and I'm now in my 2nd year in an excellent clinical psych program, and I'm 35.

Having a non-standard background can be a big plus (especially if you have computer skills--needed for stats and database work!). But you should know the odds, and know that nothing substitutes for actual experience in a psych lab, and/or publications. This board is an awesome resource too.

Good luck!

Joel

Have you considered psychology research? Some clinical PhD programs are quite research-oriented, and within those programs, people with strong computer science backgrounds like yours are highly prized! If you'd be willing to consider psychology research as well as practice, your computer skills could play a big part in landing you a research job, which would help you gain experience, which would in turn help you get accepted to programs!