Career-based Master's Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of applying to a Master's program (to bring up my GPA) before I apply to medical school. Can you think of any biology-based master's programs that are career-based? For example, there's MSc. in Genetic Counselling, which certifies one as a Genetic Counsellor. What are some other similar options?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds! :)

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that unless its a post-bacc or SMP, any biology masters programs don't really help you get into medical school. My 2 cents would be to find a program in an area youre passionate about (for instance, I'm doing the Hopkins MPH before I reapply to medical school, concentrating in Biostatistics/Epi to advance my current health policy career). Its still related but, it will give me useful skills in the future.

I would do something different from what you are suggesting, as I find this all too common.

My understanding is that unless its a post-bacc or SMP, any biology masters programs don't really help you get into medical school. My 2 cents would be to find a program in an area youre passionate about (for instance, I'm doing the Hopkins MPH before I reapply to medical school, concentrating in Biostatistics/Epi to advance my current health policy career). Its still related but, it will give me useful skills in the future.

I would do something different from what you are suggesting, as I find this all too common.

I was originally planning to do the MHS in Molecular Microbio and Immuno at Johns Hopkins but since I'm Canadian, it was extremely expensive for me and I ended up deferring the year.
Thanks for your input!