Career advice on PTA Vs. OTA and Masters of OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BubbleGumDreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a little bit of advice. I graduated with a Bachelor's in Education with a 4.0. I would say that I was an above-average student because I know that I could call any of my previous professors and ask for a great recommendation later. (I'm very fortunate for that!). I taught English abroad and will be teaching with the Fulbright program which I know is pretty prestigious. After the Fulbright, I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'll try to explain what I'm looking for in a career (and what I'm not looking for) and hopefully you all can help steer me in the right direction!

I liked teaching in theory, and I enjoyed interacting with the students, especially in small group settings. However, I didn't like all of the politics of the education reform; I know that all work settings have politics, but things are getting difficult in the education realm. It's kind of hard to explain how bad it's gotten to an 'insider' because you almost have to be in the trenches to see what's happening. Also, while I was good at planning lessons (I got a lot of compliments on my creativity), it was a huge time sink and I could never leave work at work. I was taking lots of work home with me each day and it left me feeling burned out before I really even started my career. Even the veteran teachers tell me that the school systems demand so much and that if you can get out of the field, do it.

So I looked into speech pathology because I have a background in language too. I really liked this field in theory and I have taken about five prerequisite courses. But I have to admit that I'm really not as excited about the field as I thought. I tried to convince myself to like it because it's in demand, I would be in demand because I'm bilingual, but I'm just not feeling it. While there are some cut-and-dry things in speech, I got annoyed by subjective data. Also, most of the jobs are in the schools where there is a ton of paperwork, planning, and unreasonable caseloads. I didn't want to admit it, but the speech pathologists seemed to work almost as much as the teachers, and the ones that I observed seem pretty stressed out. I know that I would be stressed out in that field too, and I would consistently bring work home. Plus, I just really don't want to have anything to do with the schools! A lot of SLPs are also employed in SNFs, but working with geriatrics and *speech* doesn't interest me. There are some dicey ethics too, maybe moreso with SLP in the SNFs compared to OT/PT. I just see myself bored and stressed as an SLP.

I just keep telling myself to finish the courses this semester strong and then to just quit. It's hard for me to quit, but I guess it's better to realize that a career isn't right for you when you've only spend a semester's tuition rather than a whole master's degree! I guess everyone makes mistakes...

So, now I'm debating between PTA, OT, and OTA. I had to take an anatomy course for speech and I actually thought it was really interesting, which surprised me because I had been pretty intimidated by science! I observed an OT briefly and I really like the mixture of psychology and anatomy/science. It seems really creative but I liked the orthopedics and muscle stretching/strengthening exercises too. Anyway, what really attracts me to these fields is that you get to help people in a personal way, and the work life balance seems to be better. With OT and PTA, it seems like while you plan, you don't really have to prep or create many materials whereas in SLP you do. I've never really heard of a PT or OT bringing work home. Both fields are also really hands on, which I enjoy, and they seem to be easier to measure than speech, which makes note taking easier (hopefully!). The hospital setting would be great, or maybe even an SNF, but I'm curious if there are as many ethical dilemas there as speech!

I don't really have any aspiration to do the DPT, so I'm looking into PTA. I know that some PTAs resent not having more autonomy, but honestly, I am perfectly okay with being told what to do! I value the interaction with the patients more and not having as many paperwork demands. A lower salary is worth the better work-life balance, in my opinion. My biggest concern with this field is physical strain (Is my body going to regret this decision?) and job availability. I have heard so much conflicting information about demand! The BLS says that PTA is in demand, but many of the job postings I see are part time or PRN, and I would want to work full time. I'm apprehensive about going to school and then not being able to find a job, but I'm willing to move right now. Also, is the salary comfortable? I've heard a lot of different salary information too, from low 20's to 35+ per hour. (Honestly, it's about as I'd be making as a teacher, though!). The classes are also offered at a community college for a very cheap cost- I think around 12K total. I would also be able to work part-time during these courses (How hard is it to find a related job? Maybe as an aide?). I'll be 25 the fall semester after teaching abroad (eek!) and I really want to start working NOW.

To be honest, I'm a little more interested in OTA, but I'm not sure if that is in demand. What's the COTA vs PTA job demand like? I could go for the Masters in OT (which makes more sense because I have my BA already), but I'm afraid of getting so far into debt. Also, I'm not sure if I would like to be the one who is primarily responsible for patient's care. Even though it's counter-intuitive to spend two years in PTA school when I could get a Masters in that time, I think I would really enjoy getting my footing under supervision first. Plus, I think it's a pretty good return money-wise on a two-year degree. I tell myself that I could always go from PTA to OT later on in life if I wanted to, but I think being a PTA first would be invaluable. I know it doesn't make sense....but hopefully I've explained myself! I enjoy working on a team and I'm comfortable being the sole person in charge. Maybe after experience I would be.

Other careers?
Or maybe there are other careers that don't require extra schooling that I haven't thought of? Maybe HR, administrative sort of things? I like people but I'm also good at planning, organizing, etc. And I have multicultural experience too!

Anyway, if you all could give me some insight into the demand of PTA/OTA and whether it's worth it, that would be great! I'm at a career crossroads. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am sort of wondering why you would consider a Master's in OT but are not interested in the DPT. There's not a huge difference in the amount of investment. Most OT programs are 2.5-3 years, while DPT is 3 years.

Shadow facilities that have PTs and OTs working together. Most likely you'd be working in SNF as a PTA or OTA (and those are the easiest places to shadow). PTA does leg exercises, standing endurance, etc. OTA will do hand exercises, activities of daily living (toileting, bathing, cooking). There is a lot of overlap so I hardly think it matters which one you choose, as you would likely find them equally rewarding. They are both in high demand and will continue to be, as intervention/rehabilitation becomes more and more a part of the holistic approach to the patient and a way to keep healthcare costs down.

Reactions: 1 users
My initial thought when I started reading was to recommend PTA/OT/COTA in the schools. If you're really opposed to being in the schools though, but may want to continue working with kids, I'd recommend shadowing outpatient pediatric therapists. When you're trying to figure out your path there really is no better tool than just observing, shadowing, and talking to others in the field as much as possible.

I know I'm not the only DPT on here with an education background either. It's a field that lends itself very well to a career in either the OT or PT field.

Also, while it wasn't clear, it looked like you were saying 20s-35+ per hour for a PTA. For reference, a large hospital system her starts PTAs around 16-17/hour and max out around 25.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the PTAs and COTAs I know either work in schools, SNFs, or home health. I do not know any that are highly satisfied with their job. They are all working on pre-reqs to go to PT or OT school.

Pediatrics: I work as a rehab tech in outpatient and inpatient peds. Our hospital system has 10 outpatient satellite locations in the suburbs and a main campus location. Overall, there are about 100 OTs and PTs, and ZERO COTAs or PTAs. To provide quality care to children with medically complex and often chronic conditions, only OTs and PTs are allowed to provide treatment. We also employ about 45 SLP. The workload for SLPs, OTs, and PTs is comparable. You would be doing a lot of paperwork and planning for any of those careers. If you think being a SLP is too much work, you will not find OT or PT any easier. And do not think that peds OT or PT would be easier on your body just because the patients are smaller... if anything it is more demanding since you do more bending over and lifting.

The fact of the matter is, you already have a bachelor's. But you only need an associates for PTA or COTA. It would be a step backward for you. Your four-year degree would not get you anymore money, since reimbursement rates are set by insurance companies/Medicaid/Medicare.

However, if the advanced degree careers seem like too much work, there is no shame in saying that. There have been people on this forum who were in PT school but decided to quit and become a PTA.

muscle stretching/strengthening exercises

This made me facepalm. Make sure you understand that the fields of PT and OT are huuuuuge. And they both do way more than stretching and strengthening.

And with your descriptions of the other career choices, you seem to only have skimmed the surface. SLPs are more than schools or stroke. OTs are more than hands. And PTs are more than orthopedics/sports. As others have said, you should shadow multiple professionals in each field before making a decision.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I am sort of wondering why you would consider a Master's in OT but are not interested in the DPT. There's not a huge difference in the amount of investment. Most OT programs are 2.5-3 years, while DPT is 3 years.

Heck a lot of DPT programs are 2.5 years or close to.

If a PTA or OTA is not satisfied with his/her job, how would he/she be satisfied as an OT or PT? It is very similar. Almost the same. An OT or PT can do evaluations/make plans and potentially manage a rehab unit/start a private practice. I would say that seems like the main difference. But someone who doesn't like being an OTA couldn't possibly like being an OT. There is a difference in salary but according to some list of "best jobs of 2015," both OT and OTA were among them, with OTs averaging mid-70,000s and OTA averaging mid-50,000s. My sister has a BA and got into OT school but chose OTA because she wanted less stress and it was going to involve $90,000 less debt. It also did not require a relocation or change in living situation. If you have a life in your location and a community college nearby that offers OTA, that could be more appealing than moving and taking a lot of debt to pursue OT. You have to weigh the pros and cons yourself, but as far as I can tell OTA school is not (much) easier than OT school and you will obviously have more options in the long run as an OT/PT than as an OTA/PTA. Also, an OT (PT) can always do the job of an OTA (PTA), but an OTA (PTA) cannot do the job of an OT (PT).

Bubble Gum Dreams! Have you chosen a route? How did you go about deciding and how has it turned out?

I am in the same situation. I majored in Speech Therapy (bachelors) and worked in it almost 2 years as an assistant. I loved the science and loved my clients, but I felt overwhelmed by all the subjectiveness/abstractness and like you said, dreaded lesson planning.

I have been considering PTA...I too, don't know if I want to go forth and do a doctorate, but I do like that PTA is a healthcare profession, but less creativity required.