Cardiology fellowship hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speyeder

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that cardiology fellowships are among the most demanding in terms of time commitment, but does anyone know what a typical cardiology fellow's hours are like? How many hours do they put in per week? Is it more or less demanding than residency?

According to Freida's specialty training statistics, cardiology fellows (pgy-1's) average 52.3 hrs per week on duty. Is this accurate? I thought they worked more than that. My significant other wants to go into cardio but is worried that the lifestyle during fellowship isn't conducive to having a family. Any info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, the cards residents were pretty much on call q3, and were in the hospital pretty late., ...usually till 6-7 daily (they started at 6am). I don't think the acgme guidelines apply to fellows (although im not sure). They worked quite alot.....It might just be where i am though. They did have some chiller rotations... i heard stress/echo/nuclear was more relaxed, with prettty regular 8 - 5 hours, but they still took call. Alot of my dads friends are cards guys and work alot as attendings (65 - 70 hours/week avg)....but hey they love what they do and they earn alot too, so their families aren't really complaining.

Im sure others here are more qualified to answer......and im certain they will.

I heard they work you so hard your heart gives out and you have to visit the hospital when your off for your heart pronblems! :laugh: