Cardiac Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aric_taylor2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how you go about becoming a cardiac surgeon as the heart has all ways been interesting to me. And what exactly is the difference in cardiac, and cardiovascular surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

A "cardiac surgeon" or more commonly known as a Cardiothoracic surgeon, typically completes 5+ years of a General Surgery residency and 2+ years of a CT surgery fellowship. There is some talk of a 4+2 track for CT surgery ("fast-tracking" medical students straight into the field with 4 years gen surg followed by 2 years CT surg) - however, I've yet to see any programs actually start to matriculate residents into such a program.

Really no difference between Cardiac and Cardiovascular except that Cardiovascular surgeons probably emphasize doing more peripheral vascular cases (which typically falls to the Vascular Surgeon). CT fellowships have more or less thoracic experience depending on the program.

thanks.. I was also wondering. This dosn;t really concern me because I don't realy want to go into medicine to make money. But it seems different sites tell different things. Some say cardiovascular surgeons make more then cardiac surgeons and others say it is the opposite. Also, are most cardiac surgeons in private practice or employed by a hospital?