Cardiac Anesthesia Fellowship 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDF1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those applying cardiac in the coming months to start in 2020.

Anyone else feeling as nervous as I am? 76% match rate last year. Thoughts, comments, concerns all here!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rolling invites. Get em in early

anyone know much about columbias ACTA fellowship? Tried looking in past threads, havent found much other than NYC is expensive

Good luck everyone!!!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 1 user
submitted last week! Anyone received any invites yet?

Anyone hear back from other programs? Radio silence is killing me. Applied to Mount Sinai but have not heard back from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through this process a couple years ago (one of the first SF match years if not the first) and the invites tended to come in chunks.

I did 12 interviews and these were the respective dates:

2 invites in December (Midwest, South)
2 invites in January (West Coast)
6 in February (2 NYC, 1 west coast, 2 boston, 1 midwest)
1 in April (Boston)

1 was my home institution so there was no relevant date.

I started receiving contact from programs around December about supplemental documents (all of the stuff that was already in my SF match application) so I kept a generic email filled with these that I just forwarded and rewrote to each place that asked. January is when I received the most supplemental documents requests and usually I was sent an interview invitation within a week or so of me having sent the document.

Anyone hear back from other programs? Radio silence is killing me. Applied to Mount Sinai but have not heard back from them.

Relax...

Majority of programs don’t review programs until mid December, and several not until the new year. Very few do interviews beforehand, but unlike the main NRMP the majority of applicants (last year, about 2/3 submitted by Christmas) do not submit in the first 24 hours so it behooves programs to wait a bit.

I don’t think I had my first interview until February anyway, and it was that (large) program’s initial interview date.

Reactions: 1 users
Bump. Anyone heard anything from the midwest and east coast programs?

I haven't gotten any interviews other than one from Cedars Sinai. But also didn't apply to Mount Sinai or USC.

I've only heard from USC. I did apply to Cedars Sinai and Mount Sinai - nothing from them on my end.

Anyone get interviews anywhere other than USC, Mount Sinai, and Cedars Sinai?

A resident in my program got an invite from UCLA in addition to Cedars. None for myself yet, however:(

I applied last year with no luck.. hoping this year will be my year... so far love from USC cedars and mt sinai who all didnt interview me last year.... keeping my fingers crossed this will be my year....

Apparently Methos will be at Cedars starting 2019.

B5062723-2C87-4CEA-A334-FF166084C31C.png

Reactions: 4 users
Mount Sinai NY also sent invites!

Anyone know when Mt Sinai interview days are? Cause it said Dec 18th on the SF match website... Does that mean they start Dec 18th?

UCSD sent out some interview invites today!!! If only they all sent invitations out within the same week!! It would be so much easier to be able to tell which programs you wanted to spend the money/vacation days on to go to the interviews! Especially, when some programs are offering a really early interview date!

Last edited:
Happy Holidays everyone! I was looking on the anesthesia residency match page and saw that they had created a google spread sheet to gain information about programs. I created one real quick for any past/present fellows or residents of the programs to comment as well as interview opinions ect. It is all anonymous the way I have it set up so no worries. Figured it might help! Good Luck!

ACTA Fellowship Info

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Did Emory and john Hopkins send out invites already?

Did Emory and john Hopkins send out invites already?
Emory has sent out some of their interviews. I didn't receive an invite from Hopkins but per the Google excel sheet they have sent out some interviews at the very least. I am not sure if most programs send out many batches on interview invites or one large batch though...

That's pretty great. I was in high school when he was chopping off heads on TV. Good thing he's immortal, starting a medicine career so late. :)
Apparently he went through medical school in London, but then chose an acting career right before graduation (per IMDB), so I guess this is kind of him going full circle.

Emory has sent out some of their interviews. I didn't receive an invite from Hopkins but per the Google excel sheet they have sent out some interviews at the very least. I am not sure if most programs send out many batches on interview invites or one large batch though...
How many interviews has everyone got? So far only USC and NYU for me. Applied to the other programs who apparently sent interviews and no word from them. Getting worried!

Hi All,

Submitted by application in Mid-December. Just USC for me, got that invite in late December. Been radio silence for me ever since.

Hi all,

For those applying cardiac in the coming months to start in 2020.

Anyone else feeling as nervous as I am? 76% match rate last year. Thoughts, comments, concerns all here!

Is there a link to show that data and match by programs? Just curious to look it over.

So I emailed the SF match regarding additional match data. Apparently they only publish match data that is released by the SCA. My request for additional information regarding match statistics was passed along to the SCA and then quickly denied. Womp. Womp.

So I emailed the SF match regarding additional match data. Apparently they only publish match data that is released by the SCA. My request for additional information regarding match statistics was passed along to the SCA and then quickly denied. Womp. Womp.

What are you looking for beyond match rate?

Average number of ranked programs for matched vs unmatched applicants. Basically as a guide for the number of interviews I would go on.
As many as you can. You should be able to figure out if you're a competitive applicant based on what interviews you get.