carbo to fat, where does it happen??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeymaniac

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that when a cell reaches its saturation point with glycogen, it converts it to fats. In Examkracker, it is stated that "The conversion of glucose to fat takes place in the liver and fat cells and is stored in the fat cells."

1) Is the "and fat cells" after "liver" a typo? or does the conversion happen in a fat cell as well?

2) Also, does the conversion happen in muscle cells and other cells, too?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that when a cell reaches its saturation point with glycogen, it converts it to fats. In Examkracker, it is stated that "The conversion of glucose to fat takes place in the liver and fat cells and is stored in the fat cells."

1) Is the "and fat cells" after "liver" a typo? or does the conversion happen in a fat cell as well?

2) Also, does the conversion happen in muscle cells and other cells, too?

Thanks.

Its not a typo. Both liver cells and fat cells can convert glucose into triglyceride.

The first pathway, glucose is transformed to glycerol and fatty acids via lipogenesis in the hepatocytes. From this point, they travel as VLDL and are deposited in adipose tissue.

Glucose can either be converted to G3P and then to glycerol......or it can be converted to G3P, then acetyl CoA and then fatty acids. The glycerol and fatty acids can undergo anabolic reactions to become stored TG, or they can go through a series of anabolic reactions to roduce other lipids like lipoproteins, phospholipids, etc.

I dont konw of anything like this occuring in muscle cells, but I'm not positive. Hopefully this helps answer your question!