Car insurance discounts for med students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stylin456

Reaction score
So I’m moving to NY for medical school and the auto insurance rates are through the roof right now. Has anyone heard of student discounts for car insurance, or know of any cheap insurance provider for NY?

Members don't see this ad.

I live in CA which is similar to NY. Try AAA, they are very student friendly. Usually though, they want to see a transcript with a decent GPA (but they don't give you slack on the GPA requirement for being a med student). My rate is $1500/yr which is below the state average despite me having an at-fault rear end collision 5 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I can google most insurance companies won’t give student discounts above 25.

You can see if they will give you legacy accounts though. Since my parents were GEICO policy holders for over 20 years I was given a legacy account when I got my own insurance and I pay about 900 a year.

State Farm gave me a “med student” discount. I think my agent just extended the good GPA discount and waived the GPA requirement since.

Just ask. Insurance agents have so many ways they can give you a discount one way or the other. The ease of manufacturing the discount makes one wonder why anyone pays the quoted price..

Reactions: 1 users
State Farm gave me a “med student” discount. I think my agent just extended the good GPA discount and waived the GPA requirement since.

Just ask. Insurance agents have so many ways they can give you a discount one way or the other. The ease of manufacturing the discount makes one wonder why anyone pays the quoted price..
As I recall State Farm did that for my son too when he was a medical student.

From what I can google most insurance companies won’t give student discounts above 25.

You can see if they will give you legacy accounts though. Since my parents were GEICO policy holders for over 20 years I was given a legacy account when I got my own insurance and I pay about 900 a year.
900 a year?!!!! Which devil did you sell your soul to?! I pay 1200 every 6 months lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Hmm thats strange. I asked just cause Michigan is the most expensive place to have car insurance due to its state laws.
I live in the South, and I’m not under 25 either 😭

Illinois! Where you would think it would be higher. I am over 25 though and haven’t had an accident in over 5 years lol.

Reactions: 1 user