Can't take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whournameiz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that AAMC won't let you register for/take the MCAT if you have gotten an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

whournameiz said:
Is it true that AAMC won't let you register for/take the MCAT if you have gotten an acceptance?

I've never heard that.

why go through that again if you are already accepted? weirdo

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah! From my MENSA analogy compendium:

Retaking the MCAT after an acceptance is like:

Answer choice A)... Shoving a kidney stone back in after passing it.

911Med said:
Ah! From my MENSA analogy compendium:

Retaking the MCAT after an acceptance is like:

Answer choice A)... Shoving a kidney stone back in after passing it.

HAH! I think that would be the perfect analogy.

No that's not true. You could take it again if you wanted to and I know people who have done so. My brother's friend enrolled in an MCAT review course to take the test in April in an attempt to get off the waitlist. He studied his butt off for the MCAT...and then it happened...before even taking retaking the April MCAT, he was accepted off the waitlist. He decided to take the MCAT anyway. All of my brother's friends thought he was insane, but he figured that he had studied so hard to take it again, that heck, might as well go through with it and prove to himself what he was capable of. (IMHO I think he's nuts to go through that torture again) But the point is that people do sometimes take it again even after they've gained acceptance. This often happens when students get into their back up schools, but get placed on a waitlist and try to attempt to get off the waitlist by raising their MCAT scores. You've gotta realize that April scores won't come in till mid-June...so it's a huge crapshot.

It'd be nice just to take it for fun. You could mess around, leave whole sections blank, write a hilarious writing sample, etc...

This kid I know who originally got a 38 on the MCAT...and got in to UCLA med (geffen)...took the MCAT again (after he got accepted to UCLA med) because he wanted a 40+ score.

Yes..he is a crazy nerd with no social life. And no, he didn't get 40. He got 38 again. He was not happy with that.

heh heh heh that sucker.

UCdannyLA said:
This kid I know who originally got a 38 on the MCAT...and got in to UCLA med (geffen)...took the MCAT again (after he got accepted to UCLA med) because he wanted a 40+ score.

Yes..he is a crazy nerd with no social life. And no, he didn't get 40. He got 38 again. He was not happy with that.

heh heh heh that sucker.

man i would be insanely happy with a 38...

My brother's friend enrolled in an MCAT review course to take the test in April in an attempt to get off the waitlist.

What does it mean "waitlist"? Can you ask a med school to put you on waitlist even without taking the MCAT? And there are chances you will be able to get into the school without taking MCAT?
thanks

The waitlist is what happens to applicants that don't get accepted, and yet haven't been definitely rejected yet. The school wants to have a full class, and knows that some of its accepted applicants will go elsewhere, so they keep a list of people who *might* get in depending on the responses of their original list. "Alternate" list is another name for it.

MCAT is required for all US medical school. Your brother's friend must have been retaking it, hoping for a higher score to help push his application from the waitlist pile to the accepted file.