Can't find a D.O. to shadow to save my life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danno6623

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a D.O. (or an M.D., for that matter) to shadow for a few months in my area, but nothing's working. I'm volunteering at a hospital and clinic, but even the directors aren't having any luck finding a doctor who'll agree to let me shadow them.

I'm moving in about one week to Davis, California, so hopefully, I'll be more successful there.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks? I've heard about people using the iLearn Mentor program, but nobody's explained how that works.

Members don't see this ad.

One thing you could try is personally going into a few clinics and explaining that you are a student seeking to shadow a physician (reason, etc.). From here, the secretary, nurse, or whoever will usually take your contact information and speak with the physician. This worked out for me rather than just calling on the phone because they can interact with you directly. Also, hospitals usually have a lot of things you have to jump through in order to get setup for shadowing so that is why I'm suggesting clinics or some private practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Since you are moving to Davis, Touro-CA is less than an hour away. Sign up for this program: ShaDO at TUCOM California - Touro University, California .

Remember, DO schools don't necessarily care that you shadowed a DO, but rather that you have an understanding of what OMM is, how it can be used in patient care, and that you are enthusiastic about it. After all, you will be spending a significant amount of time learning OMM. Adcom's see right through the "I shadowed a DO and now I can check the box" mentality (not saying that is your mentality-- just a general sentiment that I often see expressed on SDN).

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the AOA website :) It was helpful when I was looking for a DO near me to shadow!

I've been trying to find a D.O. (or an M.D., for that matter) to shadow for a few months in my area, but nothing's working. I'm volunteering at a hospital and clinic, but even the directors aren't having any luck finding a doctor who'll agree to let me shadow them.

I'm moving in about one week to Davis, California, so hopefully, I'll be more successful there.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks? I've heard about people using the iLearn Mentor program, but nobody's explained how that works.
Since you'll be in the Davis area, how far are you willing to travel? I went to UC Davis and live in Sacramento, but I had a similar struggle to find DOs to shadow. I was able to find two DOS, one in Folsom and one in Roseville, that love having pre-meds shadow. If you're interested, PM me and I can give you their information.

One thing you could try is personally going into a few clinics and explaining that you are a student seeking to shadow a physician (reason, etc.). From here, the secretary, nurse, or whoever will usually take your contact information and speak with the physician. This worked out for me rather than just calling on the phone because they can interact with you directly. Also, hospitals usually have a lot of things you have to jump through in order to get setup for shadowing so that is why I'm suggesting clinics or some private practice.

I'm going to try this, but I've heard plenty of people say that it's almost always unsuccessful because the receptionists shoo students away (which is exactly what'd happen in the clinic I volunteer at).

Since you are moving to Davis, Touro-CA is less than an hour away. Sign up for this program: ShaDO at TUCOM California - Touro University, California .

Remember, DO schools don't necessarily care that you shadowed a DO, but rather that you have an understanding of what OMM is, how it can be used in patient care, and that you are enthusiastic about it. After all, you will be spending a significant amount of time learning OMM. Adcom's see right through the "I shadowed a DO and now I can check the box" mentality (not saying that is your mentality-- just a general sentiment that I often see expressed on SDN).

True, but a D.O. letter of rec is required for the programs I'm most interested in. Unfortunately, though useful, the TUCOM program states that it's for observing students, not physicians. Before I can consider strengthening my app through TUCOM's program, I'll need a letter to ensure I can even apply.

Since you'll be in the Davis area, how far are you willing to travel? I went to UC Davis and live in Sacramento, but I had a similar struggle to find DOs to shadow. I was able to find two DOS, one in Folsom and one in Roseville, that love having pre-meds shadow. If you're interested, PM me and I can give you their information.

PM'd you!

@danno6623 Obviously there could be some people who may not be interested in having you shadow them but it’s worth a shot. It’s not like every clinic is going to see you walk in and tell you “Ewww another Pre-Med student, please leave” Lol. In my experience they were all friendly! Good luck with it all!