Can't decide, stuck between two colleges

UM or MSU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R2ski2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
May 1st is NEXT WEEK, which is the national college decision deadline. I thought I would have more time to decide but April has just flown by.
I want to study molecular biology and global health during undergrad, and I hope to apply to medical school (still unsure on that though)
I'm stuck between two in-state schools.... any suggestions/advice?

University of Montana (UM)
Pros

-I would pay nothing to go to college (actually, they would pay me back $2000/yr!)
-they have a great pre-health advising system and I really feel like people would take care of me there
-I would be part of the Honors College
-offers the majors/minors I'm looking at
Cons
-the university has been in decline for several years (budget deficit, lowest enrollment in 20+ years)
Other
-liberal, laid back
-10k undergrad students
-in my hometown

Montana State University (MSU)
Pros

-university is flourishing (new 2016 dorm, new dorm in 2020, new 2018 dining hall, + other new buildings/upgrades in last 5 years)
-I would be part of Honors College
-they just seem all-around more organized (good prospective student recruitment, announcements, etc. They know how to run a school)
-offers the majors/minors I'm looking at
Cons
-I would have to take out $6k+/yr in loans, even with my scholarships (I know this sounds insignificant, but it's kind of inconvenient for my family because my brother will be attending college at the same time and his school costs $30k/yr. While my parents have assured me that $6k won't be a problem, I'm going to assume the worst and say it will all be loans)
-kind of a cutthroat student vibe in the Honors College and has a much more "professional" feeling (the town itself is much wealthier than the town/college above). I think I would have to advocate for myself more than at the above school, but I don't have a problem with that. It's just a different vibe is all
Other
-17k undergrad students
-3.5 hours away from home

TO SUM IT UP
UM would be free and has a bit better pre-med program, from what I've seen, but both schools have about a 65% acceptance rate to medical school (includes all GPAs, post-bacs, re-applicants, etc.). However, if I decided not to apply to med school, I think the academics at MSU are better. Since UM has such low enrollment, it might be easier to get lab positions/research and there would be smaller classes. I think because of the population boom at MSU, the students are more competitive when it comes to getting into a research lab and getting access to professors. MSU would also be away from home (but close enough to go back easily), which would be nicer than staying in town at UM for another 4 years. However, my scholarships at both schools would "travel" with me if I study abroad (aka I wouldn't really pay much to study abroad). When I visited MSU a few days ago, I just felt... happy. I don't know if this is because it's just a new campus that I've never been to and I was excited, or because I really felt like I belonged. I can't distinguish the difference. When I visited UM, I was just like "eh, it's a college. I could go here," but I might've felt that way because I've been on campus many times before and know a lot about UM since it's in my town.
Everyone always says to take the cheaper option since it's just undergrad, but in my case, I feel like it could be worth it to go with the more expensive option. I mean, isn't it always possible to get departmental scholarships anyway? I'm just still unsure on what's the best option in the long run.

Members don't see this ad.

Fellow Montanan here! I think you've compiled a great list of pros and cons for each school, but I think from what you've said, MSU is the clear choice. You said you felt happy there, which is huge. Full disclosure, I went to MSU for 1.5 years before I transferred to a school that had some pretty specifics research opportunities for me. You can find your way into a research lab if you are proactive and persistent, so I wouldn't let that worry you. Most all of my friends were in labs by the end of sophomore year. I was in the physics department which I think I still pretty small, but nothing is too crazy big except the nursing and engineering.

6k a year isn't too bad really. You can pay that off quickly and potentially avoid it by getting a good paying job in the summer and saving. Plus, the drive from Missoula to Bozeman isn't too bad (minus snowy days) and so if you plan ahead, you can make it home anytime you need to.

I was also in the honors college during my time there and it was decent. I found a good group of friends so it never felt cutthroat to me, but your mileage may vary. And to be completely honest, the honors college turned out to be 0% important in my medical school applications or any job I've ever applied for. But still can be good if it's something you're interested in. For me, I got to sign up for classes earlier and they required some literature classes that I would not have taken otherwise but ended up enjoying.

TLDR; My vote is MSU, but I'm a stranger from the internet, so go with your gut. I loved my time in Bozeman and it's a fantastic place to be. MSU is good quality and I loved it. If you have any other questions, let me know! Good luck!

In terms of medical school admissions these schools are equal. I don’t know much about them but if they big provide ample opportunities for volunteering, shadowing, and research: Go where you’ll be happier and can do the best.

Congrats on being able to be in no/minimal debt!