Canine Distemper Questions / Pro help Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hanfeedback

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope Im posting in the right place but Im hoping to get some educated input on canine distemper and what can be done. Long story short, my girlfriend's beloved dog acquired distemper, its approximately 1 yr old and today was the the first day that she exhibited nervous system symptoms. I have no plans to put her through pain but we desperately love this dog and my g/f is heartbroken. Anyway I have the following questions in regards to this disease.

1. The dog was vaccinated as a puppy and so Im wondering whats the chances she could have contracted this even after a vaccination?

2. Once the nervous system symptoms have set in, what medication if any can be given to lessen these ? What can be given during this stage to help her?

3. Once the nervous system symptoms develop, whats a realistic percentage of a decent recovery?

4. And finally and most importantly, whats a decent timeframe to wait to see if our dog will recover at all once the nervous systems have manifested themselves?

I appreciate all your help and I hope I posted this in the right place.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope Im posting in the right place but Im hoping to get some educated input on canine distemper and what can be done. Long story short, my girlfriend's beloved dog acquired distemper, its approximately 1 yr old and today was the the first day that she exhibited nervous system symptoms. I have no plans to put her through pain but we desperately love this dog and my g/f is heartbroken. Anyway I have the following questions in regards to this disease.

1. The dog was vaccinated as a puppy and so Im wondering whats the chances she could have contracted this even after a vaccination?

2. Once the nervous system symptoms have set in, what medication if any can be given to lessen these ? What can be given during this stage to help her?

3. Once the nervous system symptoms develop, whats a realistic percentage of a decent recovery?

4. And finally and most importantly, whats a decent timeframe to wait to see if our dog will recover at all once the nervous systems have manifested themselves?

I appreciate all your help and I hope I posted this in the right place.

Sorry but this is not a forum for medical advice. You should contact your veterinarian and I'm sure they will gladly meet with you to discuss your dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.