Candian in US med school & residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onthetopo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a premed looking to apply in US med school.
Before I got in ,I need to ask what happens when I graduate
How does visa work out in this case? My I-20 visa should expire when I finish right. If it's super hard to find residency spot in US can I go back to Canada to do residency?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Relative to Canada, I doubt it will be "super hard" to find a residency in the USA. They need hundreds of more residents than their med schools produce and, coming from an LCME accredited school, you're perfect.

Jamesmtl said:
Relative to Canada, I doubt it will be "super hard" to find a residency in the USA. They need hundreds of more residents than their med schools produce and, coming from an LCME accredited school, you're perfect.

James
Are residency in Canada competitive? Compared to the US, if graduating from a Cdn med school?
Regards

Members don't see this ad :)
shetland said:
James
Are residency in Canada competitive? Compared to the US, if graduating from a Cdn med school?
Regards

I would say, except for family med, getting the residency of your choice is harder in Canada than the US. The no. of res spots to meds grads in Canada is almost exactly 1:1. In the US it's something like 1.6:1. And it might get even harder to get your first choice in Canada depending on how the new rules for IMGs look.

ssc_396 said:
I would say, except for family med, getting the residency of your choice is harder in Canada than the US. The no. of res spots to meds grads in Canada is almost exactly 1:1. In the US it's something like 1.6:1. And it might get even harder to get your first choice in Canada depending on how the new rules for IMGs look.

Hey ssc,

Are IMGs considered in first rounds of Match (CARMS)?

ssc_396 said:
Hi Shetland,

The discussion over on ezboard suggests they will be:
http://p090.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm63.showMessageRange?topicID=179.topic&start=1&stop=20

Would you prefer to do residency/practice in the UK or Canada?

Hey ssc

Ideally, I want to read medicine in Peterhouse and do residency in Canada. But, I know this will be impossible or very difficult, as residency in Canada is very competitive. I hope to pratice in Canada.

So common sense would advise me to stay in Canada to do medicine.

onthetopo said:
Hi,
I'm a premed looking to apply in US med school.
Before I got in ,I need to ask what happens when I graduate
How does visa work out in this case? My I-20 visa should expire when I finish right. If it's super hard to find residency spot in US can I go back to Canada to do residency?

thanks

I'm pretty sure that as a Canadian Citizen, you are eligible for first round of the CaRMS residency match provided you graduate from a Canadian or US Med school.

If you want to come back to Canada, there may be some "unwritten rules" and politics about Canadian students from Canadian schools getting higher priority, that's my impression having just gone through the process but it's by no means fact. It makes sense also since many of them have rotated through the hospitals and get to know program directors on away rotations. Family Medicine is fairly wide open in Canada for Canadians but specialty spots are HIGHLY competitive here. If you want anything other than family medicine, you have to be prepared for the possibility that you might not get it in Canada, that's just how it goes with so many applicants and so few spots.

If you want to stay in the USA, you would likely need an H1B Visa after medical school that allows you to earn money as a resident down there. The key is to research the matter while in medschool and apply to US residency programs that are willing to sponsor you in the event that you match to them because that is the only way to get an H1B (have to have a willing employer). Some won't take the effort to do the paperwork and pay the fees but others will.

Best of Luck!

Does anyone have info about Canadians doing their electives in the US... or how does one go about in doing it?

shetland said:
Does anyone have info about Canadians doing their electives in the US... or how does one go about in doing it?

It's similar to the Canadian process except that it takes much, much, much longer. Plan way ahead like 6-9 months no joke. The paperwork can kill you even if you are a dual citizen. I remember in med school, pre 9-11 mind you, it was very difficult. My buddy who is a dual took a while like 5 months and myself it took almost 8 months to arrange the darn elective. Partly it also depends on the amount of space the school has as well though. The long lead time will give you a chance to get the time you need.
When you're in med school talk to the people in the office. They've done it before for other medical students and will have some of the most up to date information.
Good luck, not that you'll need it.