Cancelling Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocchip

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is WAY too early for this - I'm not even close to being in this situation! But I have heard from many people above me that as the interview process went on, they got tired of interviewing and started cancelling interviews. As I am starting to get interviews, should I schedule the programs on the lower half of my list towards the end of the season? How much advanced notice should you give a program when you cancel (like 1 month or more, etc)? And what is the best way to do it? I assume it would just be better to decline the interview than to schedule it in the first place...

Members don't see this ad.

I think programs probably expect some of their invitees to cancel. I'm hoping I get to cancel a few, meaning I have too many offers to possibly attend!

I don't know about when to cancel. Maybe as soon as you know you won't be able to make it or have decided they're not in your top 10 anyway.

Im new to the whole interview process myself but based on what ive read on these forums i believe it would be ok to cancel upto 2 weeks in advance..i know for a fact that a couple of friends who interviewed last year were so tired by the end that they did in fact cancel interviews so i guess it can be and has been done.

I think cancelling interviews is fine as long as you are professional about it. Give them as much advanced notice as possible. I think 2 weeks is a good rule. I went on several interviews last year where people simply would not show up. They didn't even call to cancel. I think this is incredibly inconsiderate since the program lost an interview spot that it reserved for those people, and it prevented other applicants from being able to get an interview. Also, I have heard that programs pay attention to the schools that these people come from, and it gives the students from those schools a bad reputation, which may affect their willingness to interview students from those schools the following year.