Canadians practicing in the States?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiritedaway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm currently a Canadian citizen and definitely considering a future career in dentistry. I really want to work in the US after attending dental school in the states, and I'm confused as to the laws/regulations concerning Canadians and their ability to practicedentistry in the states. Will I need to get a green card before I can take any liscencing exams? Will it be difficult for me to obtain a permanent residence? Will I need someone to hire/sponsor me once I graduate from D-school so that I can stay in the US? What do I need in order to start up my own practice?
Lastly: will it be very difficult to obtain these things? Is there a possibility that once I get my DDS, I won't be able to practice in the US? Another possible career I'm strongly considering is Pharmacy. Would you say that it is much easier to get a permanent residence/citizenship (later on) if I am a pharmacist?
Thanks for your help, :)

Members don't see this ad.

spiritedaway said:
Hey everyone,
I'm currently a Canadian citizen and definitely considering a future career in dentistry. I really want to work in the US after attending dental school in the states, and I'm confused as to the laws/regulations concerning Canadians and their ability to practicedentistry in the states. Will I need to get a green card before I can take any liscencing exams? Will it be difficult for me to obtain a permanent residence? Will I need someone to hire/sponsor me once I graduate from D-school so that I can stay in the US? What do I need in order to start up my own practice?
Lastly: will it be very difficult to obtain these things? Is there a possibility that once I get my DDS, I won't be able to practice in the US? Another possible career I'm strongly considering is Pharmacy. Would you say that it is much easier to get a permanent residence/citizenship (later on) if I am a pharmacist?
Thanks for your help, :)

In order to open a practice in the US, you must have a greencard or citizenship...however, you can still work in the US for another dentist if someone is willing to sponsor you, which I dont think will be hard to find since associate jobs are a dime a dozen....as far as applying for residence, its damn hard, and comes down to outright luck or some connections....however, coming from Canada and being a skilled professional, you are in a better position than most, but I wouldnt bank on it....if you really want to practice in the US, why not just take the easy route and marry an American :cool: