Canadians in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canucker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This question is directed at Canadians studying in Australia, though I'd appreciate answers from anyone. I was browsing the Canadian premed forum and I came across an old thread (from '03) that said that Canadians who graduated from Australian med schools who want to write the MCCEE must have a year of supervised clinical training before they can write this exam. I started looking on the MCC site to verify this but I couldn't find anything about it. Has anyone else heard about this? I was strongly leaning towards coming to Australia (if accepted, of course) but now I'm not so sure. I realize that most Canadians who study abroad will likely end up in the U.S. but I'd still like to keep my options open. Thanks for any help.

Cheers, canucker

Members don't see this ad.

someone correct me if i'm wrong (or please elaborate), but I think that they recently eliminated that required year. I think now you are eligible to take that exam and apply to the 2nd iteration during your graduating year. Apparently this move was done in order to help repatriate the many Canadians studying medicine in Ireland and Australia.

Keep in mind though, that if you want to have a chance at matching in Canada, you might have to sit out the US match...cuz the US match occurs before the Canadian one (and the 2nd iteration occurs about a month later too)...and if you match to the US, you get pulled from the Canadian one. If you're really intent on matching to Canada, I would try for solely CARMs during your grad year, and if it didn't work out, then maybe the US the next year...that way at least you've given it a shot.

And things seem to be getting somewhat brighter...I think Ontario just added 141 family medicine residency spots for next year...and there is a new IMG web site (don't know the link) set up that tries to clarify the process for licensing here.

Hopefully this progress will continue!

Mike84 said:
someone correct me if i'm wrong (or please elaborate), but I think that they recently eliminated that required year.

Yes, eliminated.

Though it's recommended, like for US, to do a rotation or two in N America (some res programmes require some such experience, others don't). This can be done (at the least) while at USyd, Flinders or UQ (ad hoc now, formally probably from next year).

-pitman

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, heres another link for you..

www.oimgc.utoronto.ca

And, if any of you guys studying in Oz already could sneak a few questions to your canadian colleagues about how they're financing their education and then pass that along, that would be great.

Right now, I seem to be missing about $75k cdn after my loan options are considered...

M.

RBC has a program that should help out (at least they did the last time I checked). They seemed to be the only bank that had a decent line of credit (up to 150k).

Off2Oz said:
Hey all, heres another link for you..

www.oimgc.utoronto.ca

And, if any of you guys studying in Oz already could sneak a few questions to your canadian colleagues about how they're financing their education and then pass that along, that would be great.

Right now, I seem to be missing about $75k cdn after my loan options are considered...

M.

Bank of Montreal also has a medical student loan in which you can take out up to $150,000 as well.

Also, if you are an Ontario resident, you can also get the provincial student loan, OSAP.. even if you are going to school in Australia.. pretty sweet!