Canadians and the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smuwillobrien

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a University here in Canada, and I'm wondering if that puts me at a disadvantage for writing the MCAT? I'm not sure why it would, but I've heard that American Universities are much harder (therefore preparing you better for the MCAT).

Any opinions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are You Serious?!?!?

"I'm not sure why it would, but I've heard that American Universities are much harder (therefore preparing you better for the MCAT)."

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.......

When it comes to the MCATs, the only advantage that Americans have over Canadians is their habitualization of standardized testing. I took all my premed prereqs in Canada and ended up with a 30 on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
American Universities are much harder

ocean11 is right...you crazy. Believe me, American universities are NOT harder than Canadian universities. I'm in 3rd year at U Toronto, studied my little @$$ off wrote the MCAT last August and, well, let's just say I did better than I ever expected. If you go to a Canadian university -- especially one of the big ones (Dal, UofT, McGill, Queen's, UWO, UBC, etc.), I think you're in good hands. That said, performance on the actual MCAT is more down to the individual and his or her own preparation rather than the school.

If there is any section of the MCAT that Americans have an advantage on, it's the writing sample. Unfortunately, the prompts tend to be very pro-American and ethnocentric. Many of them either allude to American history that we in Canada may not be familiar with, or demand that we regurgitate patriotic crap about American democracy, civil rights, moral uprightness, and other such myths. I writing sample is easily conquered with practice, but be aware of who wrote the prompts, who is marking them (Americans), and what types of answers are expected.

Well writing samples usually mean nothing to most schools anyway...

And Canadian schools are not necessarily easier than American colleges...so don't blame your school if you turn out not doing well in your MCAT ;)