Canadian studying in US med school looking to come back to Canada for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gaskell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:( Hi,

Like the title says, I'm a Canadian studying in a US med school interested in applying for a canadian residency.

I know that I am eligible for the first round, but I'm not sure about the exam requirements. Will I still need to take the Canadian exams if I have the USMLE steps 1 and 2? If so, what are the exams I need, when do I take them, and when do I need to register and take them by?

Also, I'm interested in applying for ophthalmology. What are my chances? I took a look at the number of applicants last year at several programs, and was shocked to see it was around 30. Are there just very few spots and people self select out early? (I ask because there are many many more applicants to us ophtho programs, and I don't understand the difference)

Thank you for any help you might be able to give me. I just made the decision to try and return to Canada recently, and am in kind of a panic because I know nothing about the residency application process in Canada.

Members don't see this ad.

Like the title says, I'm a Canadian studying in a US med school interested in applying for a canadian residency.

I know that I am eligible for the first round, but I'm not sure about the exam requirements. Will I still need to take the Canadian exams if I have the USMLE steps 1 and 2? If so, what are the exams I need, when do I take them, and when do I need to register and take them by?

Also, I'm interested in applying for ophthalmology. What are my chances? I took a look at the number of applicants last year at several programs, and was shocked to see it was around 30. Are there just very few spots and people self select out early? (I ask because there are many many more applicants to us ophtho programs, and I don't understand the difference)

Thank you for any help you might be able to give me. I just made the decision to try and return to Canada recently, and am in kind of a panic because I know nothing about the residency application process in Canada.

I know as of right now you probably won't be eligible for matching during the first round, as you said. You will probably have to wait to match for round 2 and I don't think there are too many opth spots at that point. That being said, if you are still a Canadian citizen then you will have alot easier time getting a residency than if you were an IMG. We do not have an equivalent of the USMLE step 1 in Canada; regardless of how you did on the USMLE, you will still have to write our LMCC QE part 1 & 2 in order to obtain a license. You may have to write the LMCC EE as well (evaluation exam). You can type them into google and read about them, but roughly the QE part 1 and 2 are "equivalent" to the USMLE step 2 and 3.

They are thinking of changing the way CARMS works and allowing foreign graduates to match in the first round, though I don't know much about this. Good luck.

Hey there,

I'd stay away from Canada if you can. It's extremely tough to get in, and you will have to do Canadian licensing exams. If you are really gung ho for staying in Canada, your best bet is to get a residency somewhere at the border b/w States and Canada. That way you can live in Canada and commute to your residency. And you have better chances of getting a US residency than a Canadian, provided you are competitive for ophtalmology.

I know as of right now you probably won't be eligible for matching during the first round, as you said. You will probably have to wait to match for round 2 and I don't think there are too many opth spots at that point. That being said, if you are still a Canadian citizen then you will have alot easier time getting a residency than if you were an IMG. We do not have an equivalent of the USMLE step 1 in Canada; regardless of how you did on the USMLE, you will still have to write our LMCC QE part 1 & 2 in order to obtain a license. You may have to write the LMCC EE as well (evaluation exam). You can type them into google and read about them, but roughly the QE part 1 and 2 are "equivalent" to the USMLE step 2 and 3.

They are thinking of changing the way CARMS works and allowing foreign graduates to match in the first round, though I don't know much about this. Good luck.

What you said it true for students at non-LCME accredited schools. However US schools are LCME accredited and therefore Canadian citizens who are graduates of US schools are eligible for the first-round of CaRMS (I believe there are some provinces that are exceptions to this).

To the OP, you will have to write the MCCQE (aka LMCC) at the end of 4th year. You do not need to write the MCCEE (that's for non-LCME grads). You should definitely do at least one elective in Canada. Ophtho is very competitive, so if you really want to come back to Canada, you should think about a back up specialty.

For more info go to www.carms.ca and contact the schools you are interested in directly to get their advice.