Canadian resident wanting to apply to ERAS/NRMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metadextrophen

Reaction score
Can a Canadian resident who graduated from medical school in Canada and is currently in a Canadian residency training program apply to the ERAS/NRMP match in order to switch specialties and do residency training in the US? Said resident has never had any training in the US, and has completed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 CS/CK.

The motivation to apply to the US is that it's very difficult to transfer or switch specialties in Canada.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much anybody who has graduated from a med school and completed the Steps can apply and match in the NRMP. Whether you will match is TBD. But you can absolutely apply.

If that's the case, why is it uncommon to see US residents who are already matched applying for the match a second time? For instance, you matched to X specialty but you wanted Y. Can you re-apply to specialty Y in a subsequent year, for instance during your PGY-1 or -2 year? What stops more people from doing this?

If that's the case, why is it uncommon to see US residents who are already matched applying for the match a second time? For instance, you matched to X specialty but you wanted Y. Can you re-apply to specialty Y in a subsequent year, for instance during your PGY-1 or -2 year? What stops more people from doing this?
It's hard to interview in intern year. There's no promise it will turn out better and bridges will potentially be burned because you'd have to tell your current program and they'd start looking for a replacement for you. Probably whether you match or not.

Plus many students match into the field they want, and hence don't want to change. There's also a potential funding issue when switching programs, which would not be an issue for you.

You would presumably need a visa to work in the US -- if so, that will limit your options somewhat but due to changes with Health Canada getting a J visa is now much more straightforward, so less of a problem.

As mentioned above, plenty of people do this, but it's a tiny minority of the overall resident population.

Thanks for the replies everyone. So I'm eligible to apply, which is good to know. Maybe I can get my act together in time for this cycle!

Can a Canadian resident who graduated from medical school in Canada and is currently in a Canadian residency training program apply to the ERAS/NRMP match in order to switch specialties and do residency training in the US? Said resident has never had any training in the US, and has completed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 CS/CK.

The motivation to apply to the US is that it's very difficult to transfer or switch specialties in Canada.
Are you looking to go back to Canada or move to the US?

Let's suppose I'm lucky enough to match to my desired specialty in the US, in a categorical PGY-1 position. Am I committed to repeating my intern year? Or is there the possibility that the new program could grant me credit for the intern year, if there was sufficient overlap between my pre-existing training and the new program's intern year?

Let's suppose I'm lucky enough to match to my desired specialty in the US, in a categorical PGY-1 position. Am I committed to repeating my intern year? Or is there the possibility that the new program could grant me credit for the intern year, if there was sufficient overlap between my pre-existing training and the new program's intern year?
If you matched in the exact same specialty, the program "might" give you partial credit for your intern year. Even residents transferring from one program to another in the same specialty in the US aren't guaranteed credit for prior training.

You really need to put this concept out of your mind until you match in your new specialty in the US. Once that happens, you can ask the PD to consider giving you some credit for prior training. You're more likely to get this on the back end (less time at the end of residency) than as an intern. But YMMV.

Your original post states that one of the reasons you want to do this is to switch specialties. You should assume that, if you switch specialties, you will get ZERO credit for anything done beforehand. The main situation where you will get credit is for a prelim year -- if you're applying to a field that requires a prelim year (like neuro) and you completed a PGY-1 in Canada in a field that would count towards a prelim year, then you will get full credit for the PGY-1 and be able to start the PGY-2. In both/all cases, you're starting the training program "at the beginning" just like everyone else.

Giving you credit creates problems for the program (and your future colleagues) -- if I give you 6 months of credit for an internship and only have you complete 6 months, I'm short an intern for 6 months. That might mean that other interns need to do more work / take more call.

There are also very specific board requirements for prior training credits. The ABIM (Internal Medicine) gives zero credit for any family medicine training, for example. It's a politics thing.