Canadian Medical Schools accepting Int'l Students in U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwiddlebones

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm technically an international student but have been attending undergraduate for the past three years at a university in the U.S. and will be graduating in May. I was wondering how many Canadian medical schools would consider applicants such as myself?
I have a 3.8 GPA and a 29 MCAT score. But I'm currently considering retaking the MCAT in August.
What would my chances of getting accepted be??

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey gwiddlebones, For Canadians themselves to be admitted to medicine the chances aren't great. Your GPA will make the cut at some schools but chances are your MCAT won't (especially because most international applicants are "competitive"). Being from Quebec i can tell you that the government regulates how many foreign med schools spots there are. At Mcgill there are ~13 for ~150 applicants. You can check out the other 16 canadian med schools and what ppl have to say at http://p090.ezboard.com/bpremed101
I think if you bring up ur MCAT and have good extra currics then you've got a fighting chance. Where are you interested in?

gwiddlebones said:
Hey everyone,

I'm technically an international student but have been attending undergraduate for the past three years at a university in the U.S. and will be graduating in May. I was wondering how many Canadian medical schools would consider applicants such as myself?
I have a 3.8 GPA and a 29 MCAT score. But I'm currently considering retaking the MCAT in August.
What would my chances of getting accepted be??

Thanks!!
Some schools like U of T and McGill reserve approx. 10 places for internationals and it's common knowledge that it's easier to get an interview as an international than it is for a Canadian. Speaking from personal experience, I suggest you apply to both schools with those stats. Of course, nothing is a sure bet, but If you retake the MCAT and do better, more power to you. Good luck!