Canadian Looking at American MD & DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyRy89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what the sGPA is, but here are my stats what I think would be of most use to you guys.

cGPA: 3.69
GPA last 2 years (20 courses): 3.72
The usual scholarships and Deans List stuff

MCAT: 26P (terrible I know :D, but i'm redoing it this summer)
Bio = 10
Verbal = 8
Physical = 8

Extracurriculars:
-Standard Hospital volunteering for 3 years
- Blood clinic for 1 year
-Cancer Society for 1 year
-Martial Arts for 2 years
-League Ice & Ball hockey for 2 years
-Community Service award
-Worked at retirement home for 2 years
-Summer Student Research for 1 summer.

Money won't be an issue so i'll have the necessary funds to pay for my tuition and boarding for the duration of my schooling. I'm looking seriously at both DO & MD schools, but I feel I may have a better shot at DO schools with my GPA and MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

You are pretty competitive for DO schools. MD is unlikely without a better MCAT

Yeah i'm hoping to get my MCAT up to at least a 30Q this summer, which I hope would put me into some competitive range at some American schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a Canadian applying to US MD schools, an MCAT score of 33 would be a better goal, based on this data:

2011 AAMC data (extracted from FACTS tables 3,4,20,21):

1331 International Applicants without a US state of residence (1009 Canadian and 363 Other) only 13.1% matriculated to a US med school (174/1331 with 98 Canadian + 76 Other) whereas 43.8% of all applicants did matriculate (19,230/43,919).

Mean Canadian matriculant stats: MCAT 33.8+/-4.1, cGPA 3.76+/-0.2, sGPA 3.76+/-.21
Other Internationals mean matriculant stats: MCAT 32.4+/-3.9, cGPA 3.71+/-.21, sGPA 3.66+/-.26
All 2011 matriculant averages: MCAT 31.1+/-4.1, cGPA 3.67+/-.26, sGPA 3.61+/-.32

Hell if only druggeek was still around to see this ...

Yeah US MD schools might be a bit of a long shot unless I can get a really good MCAT. I'm still hoping to be competitive for DO schools seeing as they have a GPA average a bit closer to mine.