Canadian for internship in Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mustlovecoffee

Hi Everyone,

I am seeking more information on how to pursue a medical internship/house surgeon position in Ireland?

I am a Canadian citizen who went to an EU school. Rotation in the US. Graduated in 2011. Have not matched in Canada/US yet. Looking to pursue a PGY 1/internship position in Ireland. Any advice from those who have info or are pursuing this route is much appreciated!

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yikes, what have you been doing for the last 4 years?

Is doing training in said EU country out of the question?

Your chances of getting an internship in Ireland are pretty low to be honest. EU law means that all EU citizens must be given preference for intern places prior to non EU citizens. This year Irish graduates who aren't EU citizens did not get intern places. Being four years post graduation without starting an internship is going to raise red flags unless you have a very good explanation as to what you've done with your time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I will graduate from an Irish medical school in June 2016 and I am Canadian; where should I apply for internship. I have heard for 2015 very few non-irish and non-eu passport holders matched. Where should I apply for internship so that I can get licensed and where are my chances best? I believe I just missed the boat for the eligibility for the UK. Any advice would be great!

Hi,

I will graduate from an Irish medical school in June 2016 and I am Canadian; where should I apply for internship. I have heard for 2015 very few non-irish and non-eu passport holders matched. Where should I apply for internship so that I can get licensed and where are my chances best? I believe I just missed the boat for the eligibility for the UK. Any advice would be great!

What's your overall plan. Are you applying to the Canadian match? Non EU citizens getting Irish internships is getting tighter and tighter every year but some still get jobs. I'm not sure of the exact closing dates for the UK but if it's relatively recently I'd call them and see if there's any flexibility. I know some graduates have gone to Singapore but it really depends on your long term plans.

I too am Canadian and will be graduating from an Irish school in 2016. Where should I apply for internship? I missed the UK deadline. I did not get into Singapore. Where else can I apply and what are my chances? PLEASE HELP! Thanks