Canadian Dental NDEB exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentpin17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking into taking the Canadian dental board exams. I recently passed both american NBDE parts 1 and 2 and I used First Aid (part 1) and Mosby's (Part 2) as study materials.

Does anyone know what materials should I use to study for the Canadian written and OSCE exams?
Will the two books I used for the american boards be enough to cover all topics tested on the Canadian written exam? what about OSCE?

I know there are released questions on the NDEB website but there is no answers! :/

Any piece of advice/recommendation/past questions regarding this exam will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance
MK

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am looking into taking the Canadian dental board exams. I recently passed both american NBDE parts 1 and 2 and I used First Aid (part 1) and Mosby's (Part 2) as study materials.

Does anyone know what materials should I use to study for the Canadian written and OSCE exams?
Will the two books I used for the american boards be enough to cover all topics tested on the Canadian written exam? what about OSCE?

I know there are released questions on the NDEB website but there is no answers! :/

Any piece of advice/recommendation/past questions regarding this exam will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance
MK

Anyone who has recently taken Canadian NDEB, can you tell what percent of the exam is from the released packet. Also what other study materials besides decks, mosby, and released NDEB packet? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who has recently taken Canadian NDEB, can you tell what percent of the exam is from the released packet. Also what other study materials besides decks, mosby, and released NDEB packet? Thank you.
For the written part, I would say 20% or less are from the released questions. But that is all I used to study and I passed. The written portion is kinda like NBDE... you study what you think will help but you still walk out of there feeling like you failed. The OSCE was 100% from the released questions.

For the written part, I would say 20% or less are from the released questions. But that is all I used to study and I passed. The written portion is kinda like NBDE... you study what you think will help but you still walk out of there feeling like you failed. The OSCE was 100% from the released questions.

you only studied released questions? only that released pdf file or are there more? if so can you send those?

you only studied released questions? only that released pdf file or are there more? if so can you send those?
For which part? The written exam? Yes. Just that PDF on their website. You could probably study it with similar materials that are available for NBDE, but I didn't feel like anything else would have been any better. The written exam released questions has literally thousands of practice questions, definitely enough to keep you occupied.
For the OSCE, I also just studied the released questions because those are the actual questions that are on the OSCE, word for word, so there is no need to study anything else.

For which part? The written exam? Yes. Just that PDF on their website. You could probably study it with similar materials that are available for NBDE, but I didn't feel like anything else would have been any better. The written exam released questions has literally thousands of practice questions, definitely enough to keep you occupied.
For the OSCE, I also just studied the released questions because those are the actual questions that are on the OSCE, word for word, so there is no need to study anything else.

do you happen to have answers to those packets?

Does anyone know where in the U.S. can I take NDEB? On the website only Canadian locations are listed.

Does anyone know where in the U.S. can I take NDEB? On the website only Canadian locations are listed.
As far as I know the testing locations are only in Canada. We had a number of American students take the exam at our school and I don't think this is uncommon.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes for the OCES, you only need the released question, it's quite easy.

the written section is terrible; like the american NBDE was just a walk in the park next to it. i used the decks, a book with practice radiology/anatomy questions (can't remember the name), released questions and special summaries upper classmates had done. i would say those summaries were way more useful than any other material if you can find this kind of material (it was a mix of first aid, decks and general DMD material we had seen in classes).

Yes for the OCES, you only need the released question, it's quite easy.

the written section is terrible; like the american NBDE was just a walk in the park next to it. i used the decks, a book with practice radiology/anatomy questions (can't remember the name), released questions and special summaries upper classmates had done. i would say those summaries were way more useful than any other material if you can find this kind of material (it was a mix of first aid, decks and general DMD material we had seen in classes).
Hey, I am currently studying for the NDEB and was wondering if you still have the summaries that your upper classmates used?
It would be greatly appreciated.

where do you find the osce released questions? I found the question and answer framework on the website but there's no images or anything

There is only mock OSCES. They are similar to that framework but not as up to date.

Any advice on the NDEB examination thats more recent? I'm writing in March 2022 and have heard horror storries of multiple failures, particulary the OSCE, all over forums :(

Do the practice osce online. Don’t put down an answer you are not certain of because if it is incorrect you cannot get partial marks and will get zero on that question

Do the practice osce online. Don’t put down an answer you are not certain of because if it is incorrect you cannot get partial marks and will get zero on that question
Where did you find the practice OSCE online? I found the PDF on the Canadian NDEB website, but I'm noticing that the PDF doesn't include any values on the medical nx charts nor is it loading any case pictures. I don't see how anyone can use this to study if it doesnt include the case information. lol
Is there somewhere else where I could find these cases so that I can actually practice?
How to Prepare - The National Dental Examining Board of Canada

Where did you find the practice OSCE online? I found the PDF on the Canadian NDEB website, but I'm noticing that the PDF doesn't include any values on the medical nx charts nor is it loading any case pictures. I don't see how anyone can use this to study if it doesnt include the case information. lol
Is there somewhere else where I could find these cases so that I can actually practice?
How to Prepare - The National Dental Examining Board of Canada
You have to study it in reverse. Having practice questions/cases won’t help you as much as looking at all the answer choices and studying those for all possible situations. It is a very straightforward study guide. And you don’t even have to be abstract to try and come up with your own content. These are the exact questions/answers that are on the exam. I found it extremely helpful to study.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to study it in reverse. Having practice questions/cases won’t help you as much as looking at all the answer choices and studying those for all possible situations. It is a very straightforward study guide. And you don’t even have to be abstract to try and come up with your own content. These are the exact questions/answers that are on the exam. I found it extremely helpful to study.
That makes sense. I'll definitely try that out. Thank you!