Canadian considering American Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmj2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am currently a third year undergrad Canadian student who wishes to apply to both Canadian and American schools to maximize my chances. However, while researching about American schools, I am a little overwhelmed by the number of American schools and its application process. If anyone could help clarify some of my questions, I would really appreciate it! =)

1) Can Canadians apply to "public" American dental schools (ex: Michigan) ? If so, are the chances much lower than private schools?
2)Which American schools are the most Canadian friendly?
3)Should I retake my DAT to increase my chance of receiving an interview for both American and Canadian schools? While reading through the adea book, I noticed many schools have a relatively high dat score for accepted students. (My current GPA: 3.93-3.94 and I scored 20 for aa and 22 for perceptual. However, I only scored 18 in the reading section)
4) If i retake the DAT on Nov 2017, will this be included in the application cycle that begins in the summer of 2017 for american schools?

Thank you all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes getting into a pubic American school as a canadian is much much harder than a private school.

2)Most private schools, BU UDM etc

3)Your dat is fine with that excellent GPA.

4)It will show up but November is still late, so you will have to let AADSAS know you are retaking the DAT.

I think your biggest concern is, are you willing to shell out 400k+ USD to attend a private US dental school when a Canadian dental school is literally 150k-200k CANADIAN dollars.

US dental school tuition is a highway robbery.

Hey! I'm a Canadian student and applied to American and Canadian schools this cycle, feel free to PM me with questions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that we don't want you here, but stay in Canada ;)

Between the exorbitant tuition costs and the slim number of seats available for Canadians, it's not really worth it to come to the US for school

Your stats are great as is and should be able to get your foot into the door of many dental schools, both in the US and Canada. Ultimately it's your choice where you want to go, but weigh out the pros and cons before deciding to come to the US

Thank you for the reply everyone! =) I am not feeling too confident with my chances in Canadian schools since Canadian schools have crazy high GPAs and relatively high DAT scores for accepted students and wanted to broaden my choices to the states as I wish to pursue dentistry right after my undergraduate degree.

Out of curiosity.... in the long run (financially), would it be better to begin practising 2 years earlier by attending an American school vs doing a Masters program and attending a Canadian dental school (so begin practising 2 years later)? To my understanding, US schools also have a greater clinical exposures than their Canadian counterparts(ex: U of T)? Is that true for most private schools in the states?

Thank you again for all the help!