Canadian applying to medical schools in Ireland 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

study MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi every one,
Who is applying to Irish school this year??
Which schools are you applying to??
What is your qualifications?

I am applying to medical school in Ireland, I will finish my bachelor's in June (psychology science). I messed up one of the years because of tragic accident which has affected my GPA. I have around a 3.2-3.3 GPA. I took my MCAT two weeks ago and waiting for the result.
My sister is studying in the 6 years program at RCSI. (she is in her second year now).
I hope I can get accepted to RCSI 4 years program :soexcited:
GL everyone.
:claps:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
depends on your ECs as well. they look for a well-rounded person. mcat is essential in their 4 year program so i think most weight is placed on that for that program.

Hi morrisol,
Are you applying to irish schools this year??

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything from atlantic bridge or RCSI??

Hello all,

I'm a first year medical sciences student at Western University (Ontario), and I applied to the 5 year program at TCD, UCD, UCC, and NUIG last fall. Last week (on april 2nd) I received an offer of admission from Galway. I was wondering whether I should expect possibly another offer, as Galway is only giving me 3 weeks to send my acceptance form and the 4000 euro deposit. I obviously do not want to risk not accepting this offer, only to not get an offer from the other schools, but I would like your honest opinions in terms of my chances of getting another offer. My grade 12 average was 90% and my overall high school average was 92% and I finished my first semester at Western with an 84%. I believe both my reference letters were very strong (one from my chemistry teacher with a PhD, and the other from my English teacher who knew me very well). I have spoken to my parents, and they are more than willing to "sacrifice" the deposit to Galway in the event that I get in elsewhere (trinity, ucd or Cork). On a side note, if there are any current Canadian/American med students at Galway, let me know how you are liking the school, the town, etc. (out of all the schools and cities in Ireland, I am least familiar with Galway). Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

I'm a first year medical sciences student at Western University (Ontario), and I applied to the 5 year program at TCD, UCD, UCC, and NUIG last fall. Last week (on april 2nd) I received an offer of admission from Galway. I was wondering whether I should expect possibly another offer, as Galway is only giving me 3 weeks to send my acceptance form and the 4000 euro deposit. I obviously do not want to risk not accepting this offer, only to not get an offer from the other schools, but I would like your honest opinions in terms of my chances of getting another offer. My grade 12 average was 90% and my overall high school average was 92% and I finished my first semester at Western with an 84%. I believe both my reference letters were very strong (one from my chemistry teacher with a PhD, and the other from my English teacher who knew me very well). I have spoken to my parents, and they are more than willing to "sacrifice" the deposit to Galway in the event that I get in elsewhere (trinity, ucd or Cork). On a side note, if there are any current Canadian/American med students at Galway, let me know how you are liking the school, the town, etc. (out of all the schools and cities in Ireland, I am least familiar with Galway). Thanks in advance!

I would wait another two weeks to see and if nobody else responds, go with Galway. You have the opportunity to become a doctor, don't mess around with that. Galway is a great school anyways.

victoronto - why are you so eager to go to Ireland without even trying to apply for med school in Canada?
Unless you have EU citizenship, I would not recommend going to Ireland. It is getting increasingly difficult to match in Canada or the USA, as medical school positions have increased at a faster rate than residency positions. Many recent grads have failed to matched, and without an EU passport they cannot complete internship in Ireland, leaving them jobless.

I would recommend applying for medical school in Canada first, then the USA, and as a very last resort apply to Ireland.

Hey guys!

I want to apply to Irish Medical Schools in the upcoming 2015-2016 application cycle and I have a few questions.

1. Why type of clinical experience do you recommend? Does it have to be at a hospital?

2. I just finished my second year of undergrad. My IB score was 41/45 and my current cGPA is 3.1. I am writing the new MCAT this summer and I am planning to apply with my MCAT scores. I am considering 4yr and 5yr programs. Based on my scores, what are my chances of getting accepted into a 4/5 year program? Also, do admission committees consider IB marks although I am applying as an undergraduate student?

3. Is it beneficial to have research experience? I am planning to do a thesis in my fourth year. Since I am applying during my third year, I might not have any type of research experience.

4. I read on the Atlantic Bridge website that there isn't a GPA/MCAT cutoff. What type of GPA and MCAT scores would make my application competitive?

Any feedback would be great!!

Thank you!! :)

Hello all,

Hi, I was in same situation as you do. I finished first year biochemistry at Mount Allison University (NB) and I applied to the 5 year program @ NUIG, UCD, and UCC. I also didn't want to risk of loosing my spot at NUIG, so I waited 2 weeks then paid for the deposit. Have you decided on accommodation yet?

victoronto - why are you so eager to go to Ireland without even trying to apply for med school in Canada?
Unless you have EU citizenship, I would not recommend going to Ireland. It is getting increasingly difficult to match in Canada or the USA, as medical school positions have increased at a faster rate than residency positions. Many recent grads have failed to matched, and without an EU passport they cannot complete internship in Ireland, leaving them jobless.

I would recommend applying for medical school in Canada first, then the USA, and as a very last resort apply to Ireland.

I have to agree with this. People I know with good resumes from top international schools haven't matched in Canada.

Hey Guys,

I have a few questions about the Atlantic Bridge program application.

1) Is the application process "first come, first serve", or do the schools look at all the applications at once?

2) Do students who complete a 3 year Bachelors degree in Canada have a chance at 4 year MD program in Ireland?

3) If I apply to a 5yr program program in Ireland, having completed 3 years of University in Canada, do the Medical Schools also consider my IB marks?

Thank youu! :)

Hey Guys,

I have a few questions about the Atlantic Bridge program application.

1) Is the application process "first come, first serve", or do the schools look at all the applications at once?

2) Do students who complete a 3 year Bachelors degree in Canada have a chance at 4 year MD program in Ireland?

3) If I apply to a 5yr program program in Ireland, having completed 3 years of University in Canada, do the Medical Schools also consider my IB marks?

Thank youu! :)

I'm sure its doable because in England the standard Bachelor's degree is 3 years.