Canada vs US salary comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlw03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having a discussion with a friend recently about the US healthcare system, and in the course of the discussion the issue of what US docs would make under a single-payer system came up. I've heard anecdotal stuff that docs in Canada make less than their US counterparts, but it's just anecdotal. What I'm interested in is people with direct knowledge of what particular specialties and subspecialties make in Canada, with approximate location, ie pediatric intensivist, Ottawa, $200K (for comparison, I'm told that PICU docs in south Florida metro area make around that). For my particular subspecialty, Canadians seem to be substantially better in most provinces, at least $100K more. But is that the norm or am I just a lucky exception?

I'm not starting this to get a US vs Canada rant going. There are obviously pros and cons to each system, and that discussion is just not the point here. I really want to know if the numbers fit the impression most Americans have, which is that doctors make less in Canada for most specialties. Is that impression confirmed or refuted by the numbers?

Members don't see this ad.