Canada to Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudyandrainydays

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering going to Australia, with the goal of matching into residency in Canada (family). However I have read through multiple posts around and it seems like the IMG route is very very difficult. It seems too high of a risk to play since there is no guarantee to be allowed to stay in Australia (let alone get an internship) nor match back in Canada, though I would guess that getting an intern spot in a rural location may be easier than matching in Canada. I am aware about DO being much much better, though I'm not as interested in doing residency there. Likely I would just go for my local nursing school at this point as there is a demand for nurses right now (at least what I have heard so far in the province of BC).

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering going to Australia, with the goal of matching into residency in Canada (family). However I have read through multiple posts around and it seems like the IMG route is very very difficult. It seems too high of a risk to play since there is no guarantee to be allowed to stay in Australia (let alone get an internship) nor match back in Canada, though I would guess that getting an intern spot in a rural location may be easier than matching in Canada. I am aware about DO being much much better, though I'm not as interested in doing residency there. Likely I would just go for my local nursing school at this point as there is a demand for nurses right now (at least what I have heard so far in the province of BC).
1) First you should probably ask yourself if you want to be a nurse or a doctor? If you are fine with being a nurse, then that's a good choice.

2) Unfortunately you're right, there are definitely no guarantees for any IMG (even an IMG graduating from an Australian med school) to get an internship here in Australia. Each Australian state has a priority list. Usually domestic students (Common Wealth Supported) who did high school and med school in the state are at the top of the priority list, then other domestic students, then everyone else. IMGs graduating from Australian med schools aren't at the very bottom, but they are close to it. There are other pathways like the rural pathway or CMI pathway for IMGs. I believe only CSPs are guaranteed internships, though most domestic students still get internships, while it's becoming increasingly difficult for everyone else. You should be able to find official statistics online if you search.

3) Why not interested in going to the US for an MD or DO, but Australia is fine?

4) Sorry, I don't know how Canada works, but there are definitely Canadians here who can help you.

You can always complete your 3 year Family Medicine residency in the US and then go back to Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some shadowing. find a doctor to shadow on rate my md or something, (i'm serious, even though this sounds flippant).
then shadow a nurse. then decide - how desperate are you for the MD?
Also, how bad is your GPA and MCAT exactly that you're even considering leaving your home country?
It's a volatile, changeable job market if you were to ask me personally, but opinions differ on this and it's impossible to predict any future. it's highly dependent on what type of medicine either makes you happy or you can bear to do for the rest of your life. Every career has the element of feeling like onerous work anyway, despite the high points.

I also know a decent amount of people that made it back from Australia to Canada: they all had outstanding academics and LORs and test scores (several deviations above average). So it's not impossible...

Last edited:
I also have know a decent amount of people that made it back from Australia to BC: they all had outstanding academics and LORs and test scores (several deviations above average). So it's not impossible...
Decent amount is how many and what in?
Anything outside of family med, psych or path? IM if lucky? And where exactly are they working? Rural, regional or metro?

Given the entrance requirements for internationals, a proportion won't get to the point of having outstanding applications. If your grades are already in trouble - it makes it riskier to return to either Canada or the US, after med school where standardized exams are incredibly important. Not impossible, I agree. This anecdotal (and based on what med schools have said to their own students) - but the schools themselves will never publish this. It's bad business.

On the side, I could say the same about Polish and Carribbean international grads trying to return to wherever they're from. nothing's impossible if you work hard and try or get lucky. Or to even the Australian citizens with degrees from Chinese or Samoan medical schools trying to match in the USA or Aus/NZ. If they can make it past the steps and the AMC.

Reason why this forum recommends US DO over offshore is that it is an American forum with a predominantly American user base. But beyond that - more importantly - there's more job security (relatively speaking) if you graduate from a US school (even a DO one - nothing wrong with them) and enter the US match as a grad from local/domestic school. That said, asking a non-American student used to universal healthcare may be a tall order, because it could be 10 years or more that they throw in.

Having done rotations in multiple different Western countries, I would never so casually say they're all the same. They share similarities yes.

I don't know. I just don't feel right saying to any premeds, even those interested in family med, sure, give it crack. You never know. It's just 4 years of your young life and 300k of debt. Into a foreign school who knows nothing about your home country and takes no responsibility over what happens to you after your degree. Of course, to each their own, you can take that risk you don't particularly care or aren't bothered etc.

And there's always a good chunk of premeds that don't care. Willing to go the lengths. Kudos to them. And I realize full well that I'm being cynical here, but the schools or the whole of the education sector couldn't have picked a better population to cash in on. with a largely young twentysomethings population of premeds, most of whom are just leaving undergrad, for whom med school is a vague concept. post-grad training even more so. willing to throw in the enormous fees, go into enormous lengths and debts for a dream. Adults sure, I've heard that said so many times - but does anyone really know better at age 22, 23, just out of undergrad without ever having a full time career before? I get there's a non-trads, but that's not the majority. Anyway, my own rambling.

Last edited:
Hey, I would like to ask about the residency process in Canada. I would like to apply there. I am a non US IMG I took the USMLE 1, CK, CS but I did not match. I would like to know more about the porcess of getting into a residency in Canada and how it works.

Hey, I would like to ask about the residency process in Canada. I would like to apply there. I am a non US IMG I took the USMLE 1, CK, CS but I did not match. I would like to know more about the porcess of getting into a residency in Canada and how it works.

You're probably in the wrong forum. This is an Australian forum. But generally it is more difficult to match in Canada as an IMG than the U.S. because there are fewer positions available (it's a much smaller country). In fact many Canadian IMGs apply to the U.S. for this very reason.

try the Canadian forum

probably not going to happen to be honest. And if you aren't a Canadian citizen, it absolutely can't happen