Can you take EPPP before graduating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliforniaPsyD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can take the EPPP prior to graduating with my doctorate degree? I plan to practice in California.

I can see other posts on here where people mentioned taking it in different states during their internship year (pre-graduation), so is that allowed if I plan to eventually apply for licensure here in CA? I can’t seem to get a clear answer and am hoping someone on here has done so recently.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If no one has tried this pre-licensure and pre-graduation from out of state on here, I would check with the state board on this. They are notoriously unresponsive, so you’ll have to be persistent with calls and emails.

Reactions: 1 user
No, in California you must send your signed post doc supervision agreement and transcript to get approval to take the EPPP.

California - any idea what CA’s EPPP rules are?
You have to have 1500 hours of internship time verified with the board before you can get approval to take the EPPP.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if I can take the EPPP prior to graduating with my doctorate degree? I plan to practice in California.

I can see other posts on here where people mentioned taking it in different states during their internship year (pre-graduation), so is that allowed if I plan to eventually apply for licensure here in CA? I can’t seem to get a clear answer and am hoping someone on here has done so recently.

I agree, it is allowable after 1,500 (pre or post doc) supervised hours. I was given this information for a CA BOP representative.

Are you interested in a study partner? I’m currently studying and live in Carlsbad Ca.

Sincerely,
Crystal

I agree, it is allowable after 1,500 (pre or post doc) supervised hours. I was given this information for a CA BOP representative.

Are you interested in a study partner? I’m currently studying and live in Carlsbad Ca.

Sincerely,
Crystal

hi everyone, does anyone know if I have all my coursework and graduation requirements done, and completed 1500 hours on internship, but will not officially have my degree conferred until my schools next graduation date, am I able to submit my application and sit for the EPPP? Thanks!

Some states will allow you to take the exam predoctorally, and you could potentially apply through those to receive permission to take the test. You would then need to transfer your score to your state, later, when you are ready to apply for licensure. There is some cost associated with that, but it was minimal (in my memory).

For example, I applied to take the test through GA, predoctorally, but have never even lived or worked in that state.

Reactions: 1 users