Can you scramble without any interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Printo

Liberty Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
see title. Can you partake in the scramble if you were not granted a single interview? I know the sites typically keep their match #s secret and give them to interviewees. So if you have no match #s to list on your rank list, can you then partake in the scramble afterwards?

Or is the scramble a complete free-for-all for everyone who didnt place, regardless of whether or not they interviewed anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

When you log in, there is a link to a list of all sites participating in the Match on the left. All the site numbers are listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't match, would it be pointless to attempt to scramble to a program that you interviewed with that either

a. ranked you, but you didn't rank (therefore no match)
b. you ranked, but didn't rank you (therefore no match)

Match numbers are not secret (even if you don't know the number you can search when the match site opens)...

Yes you can scramble if you don't have any interviews. The unmatched list will be open for to anyone who registered for the match.

It would be useful to consider obtaining a residency via the scramble process without applying to any particular site, given that one is open to locale. It certainly is a different view point, but it would allow one to be relaxed from December to March and have that much more time to get his materials together. I would think this would be an especially beneficial perspective for soon-to-be graduates who are undecided with regard to future plans. They could be on one of their last rotations and at the 11th hour score a residency.

1300 people scrambling for <150 spots last year? I don't think the odds would be in your favor for that approach.

It would be useful to consider obtaining a residency via the scramble process without applying to any particular site, given that one is open to locale. It certainly is a different view point, but it would allow one to be relaxed from December to March and have that much more time to get his materials together. I would think this would be an especially beneficial perspective for soon-to-be graduates who are undecided with regard to future plans. They could be on one of their last rotations and at the 11th hour score a residency.

Not a good approach. The scramble is very competitive. We scrambled for a spot and they applicants were all much stronger than the ones we matched.

but it would allow one to be relaxed from December to March and have that much more time to get his materials together.

what the heck, it took me a week to get my application together and done (LOR's took longer, i gave them a month but they returned within 2 weeks).

scramble only = worst idea ever

Ceteris paribus, meaning assuming everyone else applies to residencies in a traditional manner and just a few students/pharmacists decide to simply scramble, it isn't a bad idea for an ambivalent person. This way no residency interviews will be taken away from someone who whole-heatedly wants a residency. A scramble-only applicant just might obtain a residency. And if 1300 applicants scrambled for 150 residencies, still only 150 residency positions will be filled- no different than with interviewing for the positions. Even if one scrambles, he still must be chosen by a program as opposed to when interviewing both the program and applicant have the opportunity to choose each other. I say work the system to one's advantage and it hurts no one.

Of course, how many of the 1250 people that didn't match in 2011, how many actually tried to scramble? I'm sure there were many people that signed up for the match but decided not to pursue residency. There were probably also many people that didn't want to move out of their local area, and many other people that gave up on the residency process after not matching.

Out of 1250, I'd imagine there are only 500-800 people actually scrambling.

Ceteris paribus, meaning assuming everyone else applies to residencies in a traditional manner and just a few students/pharmacists decide to simply scramble, it isn't a bad idea for an ambivalent person. This way no residency interviews will be taken away from someone who whole-heatedly wants a residency. A scramble-only applicant just might obtain a residency. And if 1300 applicants scrambled for 150 residencies, still only 150 residency positions will be filled- no different than with interviewing for the positions. Even if one scrambles, he still must be chosen by a program as opposed to when interviewing both the program and applicant have the opportunity to choose each other. I say work the system to one's advantage and it hurts no one.

Hmm, didn't think of it that way.

However, even if someone is remotely interested in obtaining a residency, they should still at least apply (perhaps selectively). An applicant has until March 9 to submit, and results are out March 21. In theory, "scramble only" gives an applicant an extra 12 days.

I would personally feel like a sucker paying $100+ for the match and going only for the scramble with such low odds getting one via this method.

The problem with the scramble is that your choices are severely limited. Each yr the #open spots: # unmatched applications gets smaller and smaller. You stand a better chance applying through the regular match. My experience with the scramble on the program side is that you either need to be a standout applicant or have a connection to the site. We had 100 applicants for 1 spot.

The problem with the scramble is that your choices are severely limited. Each yr the #open spots: # unmatched applications gets smaller and smaller. You stand a better chance applying through the regular match. My experience with the scramble on the program side is that you either need to be a standout applicant or have a connection to the site. We had 100 applicants for 1 spot.

So youre saying there is a chance!

[lloyd christmas/]

So youre saying there is a chance!

[lloyd christmas/]

There is always a chance, silly... I just wouldn't want to base my future career on trying to find a spot in the scramble.

I scrambled last year without participating in the match and was able to get a spot.

I had already signed on for a retail job but then decided to pursue residency late in the game, and everything has worked out fine. I wouldn't recommend it though, and believe it will be even more difficult this year seeing how things are going on these forums. I consider myself pretty fortunate.

To answer the OP: if you still want a residency and weren't granted interviews, you can scramble for a spot.

For others wanting a residency currently and did not apply traditionally, consider scrambling. It's a $100 gamble but may prove to be more valuable- if a residency is desired. Certainly seek other options concurrently, as putting all your eggs in the scramble basket may leave them... scrambled. There is finite availability for almost everything: admission to pharmacy school, jobs, treatment options, ones in a cash register, residency positions at a hospital, etc. However no matter the odds, there is still a chance.

And scramble-only if it's in your personal constitution to be that daring (and nonchalant). A different perspective can open a world of possibilities.