can you get you PA degree online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vardenafil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i currently have my doctors of pharmacy degree and would like to go back and get a degree in PA. i think this would help me in the fact that i wish to obtain a job inwhich im more clinical in nature. i have done some research and found out you can get your MD online, so can also get your Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree online both minus having to go to school for the rotation/clinical portion of your education. anyone know of a school that will alow you to get your PA degree online? im not talking about continuing education MPA or anything like that.

Members don't see this ad.

i currently have my doctors of pharmacy degree and would like to go back and get a degree in PA. i think this would help me in the fact that i wish to obtain a job inwhich im more clinical in nature. i have done some research and found out you can get your MD online, so can also get your Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree online both minus having to go to school for the rotation/clinical portion of your education. anyone know of a school that will alow you to get your PA degree online? im not talking about continuing education MPA or anything like that.

MD online? Can you practice in the U.S.? I mean can you really practice unrestricted in the U.S. or is it just stated on some for profit website outside of the country?

PA is not an online endeavor vardenafil...
Good luck.:D

yes its an out of the country school. you can supposely do your first 4 years of med school online then return to do your years of clinical internship at the school. dont knoe if the us recognizes the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess is nobody will recognize this degree. Too much hands on happens during didactic year - you'd be lost once you came out from behind your computer and into a clinical setting. That is to say IF a clinical setting would allow you in. Nope. They wouldn't come to think of it.

This type of education should never be done fully online. Sure some classes can be done online but also have teacher interactions that are face-to-face. I would never want a person to treat me, give me drugs, or anything like that where the education was fully online. Way to dangerous for society.

yes its an out of the country school. you can supposely do your first 4 years of med school online then return to do your years of clinical internship at the school. dont knoe if the us recognizes the school.

Run away, run far away...

My guess is nobody will recognize this degree. Too much hands on happens during didactic year - you'd be lost once you came out from behind your computer and into a clinical setting. That is to say IF a clinical setting would allow you in. Nope. They wouldn't come to think of it.

Agreed. You would be well behind if all you did was online prep. Now licensing is a whole other story...:boom:

Nope, no online PA. A few programs have tried some kind of hybrid to empower the rural practitioner but they have all failed for some reason or another. At present we are stuck with traditional on-campus lecture-learner style. This is the only way we know to consistently produce good PAs.
As far as PA enhancing your pharmacy background, there are plenty of good pharmacist-to-PAs and probably a few the other way around. They are very good complementary degrees to have.

Hello,

University of North Dakota has a mainly online program for physician assistants (this is entry level, not for physician assistants who need to get a masters degree). This program was initially only for registered nurses but has been opened up to other health care professions. Here is the link: http://www.med.und.nodak.edu/physicianassistant/objectives.html

Spudbunny

o_O online degrees for medical professions are scary, IMO.

Not quite the same thing. Most of us in the PA world don't consider UND's program a "real" PA program though since until a few years ago they admitted ONLY RN's. I would bet the "first two terms that are online" are the med term, intro to PA etc that COULD be taught online. The clinical medicine could not or should not. (If I had to sit on my ass for 10 hours a day in lecture 5 days a week for 11 months of didactic you should too....)
:D

Hello,

University of North Dakota has a mainly online program for physician assistants (this is entry level, not for physician assistants who need to get a masters degree). This program was initially only for registered nurses but has been opened up to other health care professions. Here is the link: http://www.med.und.nodak.edu/physicianassistant/objectives.html

Spudbunny

why online courses? why not go to a real school for PA, RN, even DNP's have online courses!!!! OH YEAH, you can rely on your MD when things get tough!!!! that's why its ok to do things online!!

....r u kidding me?...you must be out of your mind!

Not the "Base" degree; only specialties for people who are already PAs. People (Like myself) usually do it to beef up their current knowledge in fields they are already working in, AND make themselves more marketable. Unfortunately, in today's job market, Paper + experience trumps experience.

Boy there seems to be a touch of arrogance in here.
My wife has a BSN in nursing (15 years I think..), and she just got her FNP at the University of Nevada, Reno.

She has a great job with a doc that has her assist in surgery, but medicare will only reimburse PA's and not FNP's. A co-worker at the office she is at and my wife BOTH took the RNFA, and the PA she works with is fresh out of school ---6 years and never a nurse.

My point is, my wife would like to get her PA in addition to her other qualifications so she can get paid for assisting in medicare surgeries.

Not everyone looking for an online class is a hack- this has to do with a stupid technicality....

NOW, can anyone answer the original question???

Thanks.

Still doesn't change the fact that what you learn in PA is essential and never learned in a nursing degree.

To practice as a PA and be licensed as a PA do the education like everyone else. She picked nursing over PA. Should have checked this out ahead of time.

Her poor planning is not our problem nor an excuse to abbreviate or simplify an education.

Boy there seems to be a touch of arrogance in here.
My wife has a BSN in nursing (15 years I think..), and she just got her FNP at the University of Nevada, Reno.

She has a great job with a doc that has her assist in surgery, but medicare will only reimburse PA's and not FNP's. A co-worker at the office she is at and my wife BOTH took the RNFA, and the PA she works with is fresh out of school ---6 years and never a nurse.

My point is, my wife would like to get her PA in addition to her other qualifications so she can get paid for assisting in medicare surgeries.

Not everyone looking for an online class is a hack- this has to do with a stupid technicality....

NOW, can anyone answer the original question???

Thanks.
First of all whomever told your wife that she cannot bill for surgery is incorrect. Medicare does not differentiate between PAs or NPs for first assist. They do not even require NPs to show any kind of qualification for first assist (ie RNFA). I will be happy to dig out the Medicare guidelines if you need them.

The reason for the lack of online PA programs goes back to the certification of PA programs. There is one body that specifically certifies PA and only PA programs. There are strict guidelines not only for the didactic content but for clinical experience that every program must include. The UND program has been primarily distance learning for some time but still requires fairly frequent campus visits. There have always been a lot of questions about this program in terms didactic curriculum among PA educators. There have been a number of ARC-PA regulations in the last two years that are aimed directly at UND and the two other programs that operate in a similar manner. The ARC-PA is starting to clamp down on programs that deliver content differently.

One of the primary reasons (in my opinion) is that PA school is a continuous evaluation process. The school is the first line of defense against producing dangerous practitioners. It is much easier to evaluate students as a whole (not just in ability to take tests) if they are sitting in front of you in class. In direct response to the OP. I am unaware of any allo or osteo program that you can do over the internet (referring to real programs not Oceania).

David Carpenter, PA-C

Was it really necessary to be rude to this fella who asked this question? It seemed that people took it as an opportunity to take out their frustration on those who take online classes- after all--- someone else had to sit on their a#(*$ for 10 or 11 hours a day and so should everyone else. Is that really reasonable? Sure face to face contact with patients should remain that way. To my knowledge, with online courses, they do. Many online courses do have periods where they meet face to face at times too, others don't--- those that don't really don't need to. The clinical courses do.
What about physicians who are starting to do patient care over the computer, via video or telephone? Are they wrong because they are using technology and aren't actually there face to face? Some think so--- but those same people that think so will be pulled along kicking and screaming until they are eventually doing the same thing-- happily.

I sometimes wonder whats really behind all of the negativity. It's in the guise of patient safety.. but is that really what it's about? The man just asked a question for his wife, thats all.

Thats frustrating.