Can you get trained in IUD placement as an internist (primary care)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanfran256

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of my patients in primary care continuity clinic (residency) are interested in IUD placement or removal given my young patient population.
Gyn referrals book 3-4 months out.

Is it possible for an internist to get trained after residency in placement and removals? Are there workshops?

Members don't see this ad.

I have noticed a lot of my patients in primary care continuity clinic (residency) are interested in IUD placement or removal given my young patient population.
Gyn referrals book 3-4 months out.

Is it possible for an internist to get trained after residency in placement and removals? Are there workshops?
You could also refer to an FP that does them more often. But yes, find your local FM or obgyn GME program, they can probably help you get credentialed in it if you really want.

For the rest of us, genitalia, eeeww. My pelvic exam is a CT abd/pelvis, don't forget the contrast.

Reactions: 5 users
Your right could probably do that. Idk it seems a bit silly we can't do them though since its a relatively simple procedure from what I hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been doing them in IM residency on gyn electives, they've been pretty supportive of getting me time to do them and my future job is set up to do them.

If you have no experience at all with pelvics and paps you'll need to get confident with those first.

I've been doing them in IM residency on gyn electives, they've been pretty supportive of getting me time to do them and my future job is set up to do them.

If you have no experience at all with pelvics and paps you'll need to get confident with those first.
You are lucky!!
I do pelvics/paps almost every clinic so hopefully wouldnt be too much of a jump