Can you do Plastic Surgery if your hands shake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuce 007 MD

license to ill
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My father is a plastic surgeon, and wants me to follow in his foot steps. I've always been in awe of him and really fasinated by what he does. The sad thing is though my hands shake a little since I was a kid, and they shake even more when I get nervous. Should I rule out this specialty and all other surgery because of this, and possibly think of other specialties of interest like path, or rads? Is a steady hand a prereq for this field, or does it come w/experience? I know I'm really wet behind the ears and that it is just my first year, but I'm trying to get an idea of a specialty to plan out my summer research project that I have to write a proposal for. Thanks any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

1. From threads I've read, beta-blockers may reduce fine tremors
2. Ask your dad, he should have a good response
3. Don't worry, like all of us, you will probably change your mind a million times about specialty, especially in pre-clinical years!
4. Gut impression: unless it is serious tremor, I am sure that all but the most exacting procedures are within reach for you

Good luck with your first year,

Originally posted by DrDre'

2. Ask your dad, he should have a good response

Thanks Dr. Dre, but when I ask my pops he says something to the extent like "your my son and what ever you don't pick up naturally I'll teach you." I think he is just trying to encourage me to go this path.

You'd have a real hard time with the vascular, microvascular, periorbital, and hand surgery components of training if your tremor is THAT bad. Everyone has a tremor to some degree & if your's is pronouned there are many positional and behavioral modifications (no weight lifting, no caffeine, no heavy lifting, etc..)you can make to lessen it. If your tremor is such that you'd require beta-blockers to function, I think most people would not recommend that you pursue surgery as a career.