Can you come up with the answer to this question? Pharmaceutical Calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 1:750 (w/v) solution of benzalkonium chloride diluted with purified water in a ratio of 3 parts of the benzalkonium solution and 77 parts of purified water is recommended for bladder and urethral irrigation. what is the ratio strength of benzalkonium chloride in the final dilution?

is it just me or all of you think this is a bad question. can anyone come up w/ solution?

Members don't see this ad.

kwakster928 said:
A 1:750 (w/v) solution of benzalkonium chloride diluted with purified water in a ratio of 3 parts of the benzalkonium solution and 77 parts of purified water is recommended for bladder and urethral irrigation. what is the ratio strength of benzalkonium chloride in the final dilution?

is it just me or all of you think this is a bad question. can anyone come up w/ solution?

Is the answer 1:200 (w/v).

Members don't see this ad :)
chitowngyrl said:
Is the answer 1:200 (w/v).
Originally there was 1 g of benzalkonium chloride per 750 mL of water. (1/750 w/v). A 1/200 w/v solution would be more concentrated, with 1g of benzalkonium chloride per 200mL of water. You would not get a more concentrated solution by diluting, so 1/200 w/v would not make sense as an answer.

I agree with bananaface for the answer 1:20,000. If you divide 1g by 750ml, you'll find that there is 0.0013333333g of benzalkonium per 1ml of solution. You take 3mL of that solution (0.004g of benz) and add 77mL of water for a final concentration of 0.004g/80ml, which you set equal to 1 g/x(to find the w:v ratio.) hope we helped!

WilkesRx said:
I agree with bananaface for the answer 1:20,000. If you divide 1g by 750ml, you'll find that there is 0.0013333333g of benzalkonium per 1ml of solution. You take 3mL of that solution (0.004g of benz) and add 77mL of water for a final concentration of 0.004g/80ml, which you set equal to 1 g/x(to find the w:v ratio.) hope we helped!
Hey look!! I found a picture of WilkesRx and Bananaface!!! ;)

frinkfamily.jpg

I could only wish I was as smart as Prof. Frink. Glayvin! ;) :p

I am really disappointed that school has started and no one has posted a kinetics question yet. So I thought I would pull one up from the archives to get it started.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am really disappointed that school has started and no one has posted a kinetics question yet. So I thought I would pull one up from the archives to get it started.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mountain - you have too much time on your hands!!!!!!:smuggrin: