Air Force Can you become a cardiologist in the AF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadAsian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding if I could become a cardiologist or do interventional cards if I went to USUHS/did HPSP and chose AF as my branch.

I'm not set on cards, but I'd love to know if it's an option or not, how difficult it'd be to do that specialty.. etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What can't you become? just curious

Not much, there is a path to just about everything. Some are just harder then others, for instance pediatric oncology, plastic surgery, rheumatology are a pretty hard path but it is possible in the Army.

The question should be: what can I become only to watch all of my hard work get flushed down the toilet because there just isn't any work in my field to be done?

The Army will train you to be a transplant surgeon, but even at its busiest centers you're just not going to do anywhere near the volume of transplant surgery that your civilian counterparts would do. We had two cardiac surgeons at MAMC who for quite some time couldn't actually do cardiac surgery at the MEDCEN.

So sometimes it isn't about what they'll train you to do. The Army sees its physician stable like a hot wheels collection. They want to have one of each, but there are just some toys they don't play with all that much. It just makes them happy to be able to tell people that they have everything.

I have to imagine it's at least similar in the AF.