Can you be not so good in math...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ed123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
but get into medical school ?

Next September I will start full time studies in Psychology.

I am great at biology, (90+) I am fairly good at chemistry,(80+) but my math is not that great.(maybe 60+)

So is it possible to get through medical school not having that great math skills ? but having good biology and chemistry ?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw someone just postd NO, not sure if it was erased by the mod or if the initial poster erased it.

Really, either way, it doesn't matter.
Saying no, is fine, telling the truth is the right thing to do.
Maybe others disagree, but I asked the question to start because I didn't know if it could be done.

I am interested in other fields as well, and am better at them as well, but medicine is something that I think everyone thinks about.

conceptually i am good at math.....

however my attendance led me to lose 25% of my grade.

i got Cs in both my calc classes but still got an acceptance to med school and getting interviews too....

so dont let it bring you down....but do try hard to get the best score you can obviously. it makes it easier if you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
math = requirement

that's about it. And that's in only 25% of schools. Believe me, you'll never use calc again. The most you'll ever use is a derivative here and there for ecology classes in your undergrad.. and with medical school.. and everything else in life.. that is why the calculator was invented :) Nor worries, you'll be fine, just don't let those math scores mess up your GPA too much :)

I think as long as your math skills are good enough to do well in physics, gen chem and genetics, you're fine. Seriously.

Good luck, man. :)

Your math skills will be most useful in managing your budget, and not much after that. :p

You will need math, though it will be on more of a conceptual basis. Math is very important no matter how you look at it. Math is beautiful also.

If you know how to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and use log an natural log you should be O.K during first semester med-school. I don't know about the rest of the time.

Do the best you can - you'll be OK.