Can you be an EMT or Paramedic and not drive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmohaulic

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For instance if you have trouble seeing at night because of the glare from headlights, does this preclude you from being able to be an EMT or Paramedic? Or can you still be one but not drive?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think this would keep you from obtaining the certification; however, you would probably have trouble finding someone to hire you.

There are no physical requirements for the certification that I know of other than being able to lift people as well as not having any criminal charges in the past couple of years.
But as Deranged Medic said, it'll be hard to find a job. You can definitely push for having day shifts instead of night though not all ambulance services work like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, as an ER tech. If you have medical volunteer experience then I would imagine it making up for the lack of ambulance experience; especially if the medical volunteering you've done is in the same hospital you're seeking a job in.

Yes, as an ER tech. If you have medical volunteer experience then I would imagine it making up for the lack of ambulance experience; especially if the medical volunteering you've done is in the same hospital you're seeking a job in.

Yup, ER techs don't have to drive. However, for these positions, they usually require about a year of experience as an EMT. Unfortunately, from what I've seen it might be hard to find a job where you will not have to drive. Companies usually have a physical test requirement. Also, as an EMT, that would be very unfortunate since that means your partner would always have to drive (worse if your partner is a paramedic, I don't think that would be happening)

my last medic job I always had an emt basic partner. they always drove and I was always in back with the pt.

You can really only get medic jobs if you can't drive, but you'd restrict yourself from the fly car setting, and that's where the real fun is!