Can you apply two subspeciality simultaneously, please give your thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Interferon B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was not sure about applying in two subspeciality fellowship in the single application cycle, any thought will be great:)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't do it. To me it means you're not yet sure of what specialty you want, and in that case I think you're better off taking more time to figure it out so when you do specialize, it's in the right field for you. Otherwise you could dedicate several years of your life to fellowship training only to find you wish you were in a different field after all. Better to take a year or two and decide what you really want. You can always work for awhile as a hospitalist while you figure it out.

I wouldn't do it. To me it means you're not yet sure of what specialty you want, and in that case I think you're better off taking more time to figure it out so when you do specialize, it's in the right field for you. Otherwise you could dedicate several years of your life to fellowship training only to find you wish you were in a different field after all. Better to take a year or two and decide what you really want. You can always work for awhile as a hospitalist while you figure it out.

Thank you for your comment

Members don't see this ad :)
I was not sure about applying in two subspeciality fellowship in the single application cycle, any thought will be great:)

Of course you can. But like the previous poster stated, it is probably not a good idea.

I was just curious,if you apply in two subspeciality , can't fellowship director find out?

I was just curious,if you apply in two subspeciality , can't fellowship director find out?

Only if you apply to the same institution and the two fellowship directors compared their lists. Seriously, I doubt most people would even care to look for this kind of stuff.