Can you apply to both DO and MD schools at same time

D

deleted421268

Are you allowed to apply to both DO and MD schools at the same time??? FOr example say one was starting college and was pre med as a neuroscience major, could he apply both MD and DO schools??? Is there a separate pre med you declare if you want to apply to DO school and separate pre med if you want to apply to MD school?? Aware me.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you allowed to apply to both DO and MD schools at the same time??? FOr example say one was starting college and was pre med as a neuroscience major, could he apply both MD and DO schools??? Is there a separate pre med you declare if you want to apply to DO school and separate pre med if you want to apply to MD school?? Aware me.
Yes you can, there are separate applications. No separate pre-med, they have the same standard classes and reqs essentially.

At most schools, pre-med isn't even something you declare as much as it's a list of classes that you take in order to be eligible to apply for medical school after graduation. I declared a Health Promotion major for example, then completed the medical school pre-requisites.

Right now the pre-requisite courses are:

1 year biology
2 years chemistry (1 general, 1 organic)
1 year physics
1/2 year English

Those classes are pretty much the minimum requirement, with some schools requiring an extra course or two.

As long as you graduate with the pre-requisites done for the schools you want to apply to then you're all set and can apply to medical school. (assuming you have an elligible GPA and MCAT score to go with it). You don't have to "declare" anything.

SLC

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can apply to both. Requirements are the same for both MD and DO, the only exception is that DO schools require a physician's letter of recommendation.

Yes, you can apply to both. Requirements are the same for both MD and DO, the only exception is that DO schools require a physician's letter of recommendation.

some DO schools also require an additional year of behavioral sciences like psychology or anthropology. Note: economics does not count.

some DO schools also require an additional year of behavioral sciences like psychology or anthropology. Note: economics does not count.

Generally most MD schools informally want these completed, not to mention that your universities cores will already likely require you to take intro to sociology and anthropology. I think that generally everyone who wants to go into a healthcare field should probably take intro psychology, and maybe even abnormal psych/psychopathology.

Generally most MD schools informally want these completed, not to mention that your universities cores will already likely require you to take intro to sociology and anthropology. I think that generally everyone who wants to go into a healthcare field should probably take intro psychology, and maybe even abnormal psych/psychopathology.

while it is true that these courses are part of most undregrad's core curriculum, some schools like mine, do not list these courses under sociology, anthro, or religion, rather it lists it under CORE or University Studies. If this is the case for others, it's best to avoid having to get written consent to substitute these courses. I was able to write substitute a behavioral science after being accepted at 2 DO schools, but it was not worth the trouble.

As someone who wasn't aware of DO schools or their additional requirements, having taken on a cultural studies minor, gone abroad for a non-science, I simply did not think to fit in those additional classes into my over packed schedule.

Hmm, well that's an odd situation. At my school you are required to take two social science courses for your courses, usually the easiest are either criminology, psychology, or sociology. I feel like this is the case at most other major universities.
But anyway, I think psychology is very relevant to the premed curriculum especially given the fact that you will have psychopathology courses in medical school and many psychopathology etiologies are explained through things that you learn in an intro psychology class.

Of course you're allowed to. It just requires two separate application processes. Heck, if you met the requirements and had the time, you could apply to MD school, DO school, Vet School, Business School, and Law School. If you wanted to. Although that would be a very stressful situation.

I would presume AMCAS wouldn't submit letters to DO and ACOMAS wouldn't submit to MD. I have heard there are other servers that you can submit your letters of recommendation to. Any sugestions?

Last edited:
Yes you can. I applied to both and got into one md and 0 DO schools.

Yes you can. I applied to both and got into one md and 0 DO schools.

Well how many did you apply to? If you applied to 50 MD schools and 1 DO school that wouldn't surprise me.

Hmm, well that's an odd situation. At my school you are required to take two social science courses for your courses, usually the easiest are either criminology, psychology, or sociology. I feel like this is the case at most other major universities.
But anyway, I think psychology is very relevant to the premed curriculum especially given the fact that you will have psychopathology courses in medical school and many psychopathology etiologies are explained through things that you learn in an intro psychology class.

I took 5 required classes, which should fall under religion, sociology, anthropology, or cultural studies of some sort, but they were listed under Core or University Studies (completely useless in terms of medical schools unless you submit in a writing an appeal to substitute)

We also had 2 humanities requirement and I chose intro to economics and Chinese history instead of psychology or sociology :oops:

I would presume AMCAS wouldn't submit letters to DO and ACOMAS wouldn't submit to MD. I have heard there are other servers that you can submit your letters of recommendation to. Any sugestions?

pre-med committee who will upload it to Virtual Eval for you
or you can use Interfolio

pre-med committee who will upload it to Virtual Eval for you
or you can use Interfolio

My school doesnt' have a premed committee. But if I use interfolio my letter writers can avoid having to send their letters to both amcas and acomas?

My school doesnt' have a premed committee. But if I use interfolio my letter writers can avoid having to send their letters to both amcas and acomas?

Not sure how interfolio works, perhaps you can do a SDN search or someone else can chime in?

AACOMAS doesn't do anything with the letters, you send them to each school individually, usually after/with the secondaries. For that reason it would probably be easier on you to use interfolio, or virtual evals.