can you apply to >1 program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coconut lime

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a 3rd year so i'm not going through the app process just yet, but i have definitely crossed off some medical fields off my list of possibilities. of the few that remain, anesthesia and EM are tied for #1. obviously i have another 10.5 months of 3rd year to go, but assuming i am still feeling this way come next year, i am wondering if it is possible (actually, if it's legal/kosher/appropriate) to apply to both anesthesia and EM for residency. does it make you look wishy-washy in the PD's eyes? are there any negative points to applying to more than 1 program?

any input would be appreciated. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

coconut lime said:
i'm a 3rd year so i'm not going through the app process just yet, but i have definitely crossed off some medical fields off my list of possibilities. of the few that remain, anesthesia and EM are tied for #1. obviously i have another 10.5 months of 3rd year to go, but assuming i am still feeling this way come next year, i am wondering if it is possible (actually, if it's legal/kosher/appropriate) to apply to both anesthesia and EM for residency. does it make you look wishy-washy in the PD's eyes? are there any negative points to applying to more than 1 program?

So I take it that you have crossed rads off your list since you were just posting that you were interested in rads and staying in chicago?

The answer is yes you can apply to multiple specialties and many people do it every year.

coconut lime said:

Yes, you can apply to more than one field. And yes, if either finds out that you're applying in another specialty, it can make you look like you're not committed and possibly make you a less desireable candidate. (The exception being the super competitive fields like rads and derm where you need a back-up plan.)

As Jaded Soul notes, people do it every year, especially in more competitive fields where a Plan B is necessary.

You'll do best in the eyes of PDs if however, your fields are somewhat similar. For example, choosing between Med-Peds and Family Practice. Anesthesia and EM are fairly disparate so it would hard to justify your interest in either area to a PD trying to decipher why you're applying to their program.

There is no shame in either doing a Transitional year, a Prelim Medicine year or even taking a year off (of course doing something medical) to allow yourself time to make an informed decision if you really can't decide by early 4th year.

bigbopper: it's actually my fiancee who is super interested in radiology; we both share this name sometimes.

how would the diff PDs ever find out? i suppose they COULD ask, but couldnt u just lie? could they really ever know?

I imagine it becomes weird if you interview for two different programs at the same hospital. You might want to try spreading out the applications. I actually have the same problem, and am doing a lot of soul searching trying to figure out what to do with my life.