Can someone please explain the details of "civilian sponsored" to me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottMcC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, bit of background, as this is my first post. I'm a fourth year med student on an HPSP, AF Academy grad, and I just got the ole match list yesterday.

I got civilian-sponsored ENT. However, the description of civilian sponsored is somewhat lacking, other than saying I owe more time and am active duty during residency. Apparently in the army there are only certain programs where people can do civilian sponsored residencies--is this true in the AF, or do I still go through the normal NRMP match?

Thanks in advance, and I'll post anything I find out.

Members don't see this ad.

OK, I just got in touch with the AF people...Here's the deal as they explained it.

My payback after residency just went from 9 years to 14 years.

Residency time counts towards retirement, meaning that in 2025 when my commitment is up, I'm at 19 years on the retirement clock.

I continue with the regular match, and can go to whatever program takes me.

I get full active duty pay and benefits during residency.

Congrats. The extra time committment won't be much of an issue since you'll probably want to finish up your 20 years anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
ScottMcC said:
OK, I just got in touch with the AF people...Here's the deal as they explained it.

My payback after residency just went from 9 years to 14 years.

Residency time counts towards retirement, meaning that in 2025 when my commitment is up, I'm at 19 years on the retirement clock.

I continue with the regular match, and can go to whatever program takes me.

I get full active duty pay and benefits during residency.

How much of that 14 years is USAFA obligation, how much is HPSP, and how much is from civ residency?

Were you ever cadre in Jacks Valley during BCT? Now that we captured him, I was wondering if that cut-out of Saddam was still on the assault course? Last time I did stand-by medical there (summer, 1994) it was, along with the banner over the finish line saying "come back soon." The academy is on some primo real estate.

I was under the impression that since you will be paid by the military you don't have to match to a NMRP position. Those positions are paid by the government, too.
Is it possible to apply to a program "outside the match"? In other words, apply, interview & they bring you on in addition to other spots.
I only have heard this through the grapevine.

EUROdocMOM said:
I was under the impression that since you will be paid by the military you don't have to match to a NMRP position. Those positions are paid by the government, too.
Is it possible to apply to a program "outside the match"? In other words, apply, interview & they bring you on in addition to other spots.
I only have heard this through the grapevine.

Still have to go through the match. Funding is a separate matter.

You still have to apply through the NRMP and match. Your having Air Force funding behind you makes you somewhat more attractive as a candidate, although there isn't the same institutional advantage of having the same deal in a fellowship. (Uncle Sam funds the hospital for residents through the Medicare program, whether or not they are military, to the tune of around $100K per resident per year; there is no payment of this kind for fellows, though). Your advantage will be a slightly larger paycheck than your fellow civilian residents will receive. Best not to mention that.

Congratulations and good luck.