can someone in a wheelchair be a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannwann

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wheelchair-bound and know people will say "you can do whatever you set your mind to", but I want to be realistic. Does anyone know of a pharmacist in a wheelchair? Do you know details on how they get along in their job? Things there are difficulty with?

Thanks for feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know any pharmacist in wheelchairs, but I wouldn't see it being an issue at all. If you want to be a pharmacist I sure wouldn't let that hold you back.

I don't think it would be an issue at all really. There are so many opportunities for pharmacists that don't involve having to stand all day as a requirement.

Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know any pharmacists in wheelchairs, but I know one who is a little person, under four feet tall. She can't work in retail (drugs tend to be in tall cupboards), and has always worked in hospitals.

So you could find an accessible practice setting. A pharmacist in a wheelchair could work in drug information. Or in my current job, which is in a jail; it's totally accessible.

there is a current UCSF student that is in a wheelchair, so yes, you can become a pharmacist.

My local Safeway has a pharmacist in a wheelchair.

I am wheelchair-bound and know people will say "you can do whatever you set your mind to", but I want to be realistic. Does anyone know of a pharmacist in a wheelchair? Do you know details on how they get along in their job? Things there are difficulty with?

Thanks for feedback.

Yes. It will be harder but its doable. :thumbup:

I am a floater pharmacist in the community pharmacy setting. There is a store that I float to occasionally where the pharmacy manager is wheel chair bound. They have made a few arrangements in his store to make things more accessible for him....a computer station that has been set up at a comfortable level for him. He also wears a hands free phone set. They also arrange it so that he always has a technician with him at all times while he's on duty. He seems to get by just fine and I'm sure that you will too! :)

Not everything that pharmacists do require dispensing. I know pharmacists who do not dispense, at all. And, who knows, with some accommodations and modifications, you could probably do that too. There's surely a place for you in pharmacy.

Not everything that pharmacists do require dispensing. I know pharmacists who do not dispense, at all. And, who knows, with some accommodations and modifications, you could probably do that too. There's surely a place for you in pharmacy.

So true. I know a pharmacist who's wheelchair bound and alumni of my pharmacy fraternity. He is one of the heads of CMS.

There's a guy in the class below me who's in a wheelchair. There are so many options in pharmacy I'm sure he'll find something comfortable for him.

I'm not really sure how mail order pharmacies like medco work but I'm guessing that might be an option.

I'm not really sure how mail order pharmacies like medco work but I'm guessing that might be an option.

Definitely an option. A good portion of mail order is administrative in nature, very similar to a call center or business office.

Thanks for feedback.

One of my friends is a UCSF student and he's in a wheelchair.

I work in a hospital with a female pharmacist who is in a wheelchair and only has use of one arm. She is incredibly successful in her pharmacy career. You'll do great! It's the pharmacists with the social handicaps who struggle, believe me.

Thanks for feedback.

You definitely can.
You can work retail if you work at a busier location where you alwasy have at least one tech with you (it doesn't interfere with counseling/telephone/verification as long as arrangements are made to have phone/computer/counter where you can reach them comfortably).
You can definitely work hospital, maybe not emergency room, but definitey staff phamacist or floor pharmacist.
Career in office-based positions is also entirely possible - PBM, academia, industry - you name it.

Good luck to you! :)