Can someone help me decide which summer job to pick that's best for veterinary school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chihuahuawhisperer

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So just a bit of background: I'm a 4th year student, hoping to apply this year (perhaps next) to vet school. I'm doing a 5th year to get my GPA up (had a bad first year) and by the end of that year, I should be in good shape GPA-wise. I'm from B.C., Canada, so my goal is to get into WCVM.

Currently, I have about 1000+ hours volunteering at a veterinary practice and working at an emergency vet clinic, and more by the time I apply. I went on an international trip (Loop abroad) and got some experience caring for exotics, farm animals, as well as veterinary experience (maybe 80-100 hours I cant remember off the top of my head). Basically, I'm worried my app is lacking in animal experience. First 2-3 years of undergrad, I was unsure of my path and I did volunteering at hospitals, care homes, as a reading buddy, clinical research assistant (w/ pubs) etc. I feel like I have a good amount of veterinary experience, but I'm hoping to get more experience in other areas. SO here's my dilemma:

My prof runs a repro lab for dairy cows, and welcomed me to volunteer with him. It's difficult because the dairy science centre is about a 2h drive away from campus, so I'm not able to do much right now. My TA mentioned that the farm is hiring for the summer to take care of the cattle, and after shifts I could help out with research-related activities (if I wasnt too tired is what he said).

SO option 1:

1. I take this position as a farm worker, live on the student housing, get lots of experience with farm animals, maybe research too.
Cons: I can't take my dog with me for this position

2. I interviewed for a wildlife rehabilitator position, which involves taking care of baby birds, preparing foods, helping with giving meds, etc. It's about ~30 hours a week, so I can probably work a couple of days out to drive over to the farm and volunteer with things instead, perhaps still be able to get involved with research. This position is a lot closer too, I can stay living at home.

3. I guess this option is if I don't get either position- which would be volunteer at the farm + keep working at my current clinic.

I need to make a decision fairly quickly, because basically both positions said they'd love to have me at the interview. Is there a big difference to vet schools (specifically WCVM) in which I choose? In both cases, it seems to be mostly husbandry (feeding, cleaning etc.) and taking care of the animals. Except one is wild animals, and one is cattle, both I don't have a lot of experience in. I don't really need the money (I have savings) so I'm not too concerned which one pays more.

Sorry for the long post- any help is appreciated, tysm in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've really only skimmed this, but my opinion is that you should choose the experience that will most help you grow as a person and a professional. Vet schools like hours, but they also want to see that you learned and grew from an experience. If that means doing something new that you haven't done yet, do that! If it means expanding on experience you already have - go for it! Just be sure that there is a reason behind your choice and be able to discuss that reason on your eventual application :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've really only skimmed this, but my opinion is that you should choose the experience that will most help you grow as a person and a professional. Vet schools like hours, but they also want to see that you learned and grew from an experience. If that means doing something new that you haven't done yet, do that! If it means expanding on experience you already have - go for it! Just be sure that there is a reason behind your choice and be able to discuss that reason on your eventual application :)
That’s really good advice, thank you I needed that angle :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

So just a bit of background: I'm a 4th year student, hoping to apply this year (perhaps next) to vet school. I'm doing a 5th year to get my GPA up (had a bad first year) and by the end of that year, I should be in good shape GPA-wise. I'm from B.C., Canada, so my goal is to get into WCVM.

Currently, I have about 1000+ hours volunteering at a veterinary practice and working at an emergency vet clinic, and more by the time I apply. I went on an international trip (Loop abroad) and got some experience caring for exotics, farm animals, as well as veterinary experience (maybe 80-100 hours I cant remember off the top of my head). Basically, I'm worried my app is lacking in animal experience. First 2-3 years of undergrad, I was unsure of my path and I did volunteering at hospitals, care homes, as a reading buddy, clinical research assistant (w/ pubs) etc. I feel like I have a good amount of veterinary experience, but I'm hoping to get more experience in other areas. SO here's my dilemma:

Hi there! I'm a current WCVM student and I got in with fewer hours than yourself in arguably fewer areas.

I don't think the WCVM interview panels necessarily look for the quantity of the experience, but the quality instead. Even if you get to spend minimal working with a certain type or animal, they are often satisfied even if you just understand the industry and some of the issues and controversies surrounding it.

For example, when I interviewed I had only a few hours experience working with chickens (like, <5 hours probably). However, I could still have an intelligent conversation about the industry, different cage systems, basic types of birds, etc. Although my actual experience with chickens was deficient, I still demonstrated sufficient understanding and they seemed to appreciate that I had absorbed as much as I could from that short experience (of course, I also learned some of this info on my own time lol).

What have your veterinary experiences been like so far?

I would suggest taking whichever position you will enjoy the most for the summer and whichever will give you the highest quality experience. If you can interview with both, that might give you a better feel on which position will better fit your needs for this upcoming summer. You can still get other experiences on the side, even if they are in lesser quantities. At this point, the biggest obstacle for you is to get that interview!

My first year of marks was horrendous and I took a completely different path for a few years before coming back to vet med, so I understand what you're going through. If you have other questions, you're also welcome to join us over at the WCVM/UCVM thread! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with DRider about taking whatever experience you would enjoy more.

However, that being said, having production animal experience of some form will really help you and I would recommend getting some even if it isn’t from that particular position. I both worked at a dairy barn and volunteered at the wildlife rehab centre before heading to WCVM, and found several things in each position that I found helpful. However, having exposure to the production systems and difference in mindset is extremely valuable. If you have any questions about either of my positions or what I gained/etc from each one feel free to PM me. Depending on where you are from in BC you might even be looking at some of the same locations I was at. :)

I applaud you working to get a variety of experience; that is really important especially for WCVM. :)

Reactions: 3 users

I agree with this. Pick what will help you develop the most personally and professionally. Pick the experience you think you can explain to interview committees as to how it helped you grow and develop.

I don't think you will have to discuss why you chose to do a particular experience though. The admission committee isn't going to know you had options A-C and you picked B. They are just going to see your experiences. They won't ask "why did you do that"? They might ask how that experience has impacted you or helped you decide on vet med or how it will benefit you in veterinary school and as a veterinarian. I was never asked why I did certain things for experience, I was only asked how it impacted me and how it will benefit me through my career, what it taught me and how that experience will contribute to the incoming veterinary class I was applying to.

how it impacted me and how it will benefit me through my career, what it taught me and how that experience will contribute

This is definitely more of the "why" that I mentioned

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with DRider about taking whatever experience you would enjoy more.

However, that being said, having production animal experience of some form will really help you and I would recommend getting some even if it isn’t from that particular position. I both worked at a dairy barn and volunteered at the wildlife rehab centre before heading to WCVM, and found several things in each position that I found helpful. However, having exposure to the production systems and difference in mindset is extremely valuable. If you have any questions about either of my positions or what I gained/etc from each one feel free to PM me. Depending on where you are from in BC you might even be looking at some of the same locations I was at. :)

I applaud you working to get a variety of experience; that is really important especially for WCVM. :)
Yes I'll definitely shoot you a message when I have a second! Thank you!

D
Hi there! I'm a current WCVM student and I got in with fewer hours than yourself in arguably fewer areas.

I don't think the WCVM interview panels necessarily look for the quantity of the experience, but the quality instead. Even if you get to spend minimal working with a certain type or animal, they are often satisfied even if you just understand the industry and some of the issues and controversies surrounding it.

For example, when I interviewed I had only a few hours experience working with chickens (like, <5 hours probably). However, I could still have an intelligent conversation about the industry, different cage systems, basic types of birds, etc. Although my actual experience with chickens was deficient, I still demonstrated sufficient understanding and they seemed to appreciate that I had absorbed as much as I could from that short experience (of course, I also learned some of this info on my own time lol).

What have your veterinary experiences been like so far?

I would suggest taking whichever position you will enjoy the most for the summer and whichever will give you the highest quality experience. If you can interview with both, that might give you a better feel on which position will better fit your needs for this upcoming summer. You can still get other experiences on the side, even if they are in lesser quantities. At this point, the biggest obstacle for you is to get that interview!

My first year of marks was horrendous and I took a completely different path for a few years before coming back to vet med, so I understand what you're going through. If you have other questions, you're also welcome to join us over at the WCVM/UCVM thread! :)

Definitely will, thank you!!

This is definitely more of the "why" that I mentioned

Yeah, I just like to remind people sometimes that the schools aren't going to know you had other options. We so badly want to pick the "best" and don't want to be judged that we lose that thought process of they won't have the information to judge your decision.

It it like when new pet owners freak out that they'll only be home 8 hours during the day but Suzy down the road is home 14 hours and they feel they'd be neglecting any new pet they get. Have to remind them that their schedule will become routine for that pet and that pet won't have any clue there's other schedules out there in the world.

I dunno about Canadians, but if this were me as a prevet, I would have for sure gone with the dairy cow work. Production/farm animal experience is really hard to come by. Feeding baby birds is good and all (I did a ton of wildlife rehab work as a prevet with a ton of species), but I think you will likely be able to get a better quality of experience on the farm especially if you have the ability to get deeper involved with your TA/prof, which will also result in a nice LOR?