Can someone comment on the competitiveness of peds derm fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derm4hire

Reaction score
Very interested in peds derm. Currently a first year derm resident and thinking of targeting the northeast programs for fellowship since I’m from here and doing residency here as well (my program doesn’t have a peds fellowship though).

if I’m interested in programs like Boston children’s (Harvard), NYU, Columbia, etc…is there something I should be doing to make my app stronger aside from just currently trying to be the best resident I can be? My peeps in my class trying for Mohs are already working on several research projects each. Just wondering if I should have that same hustle.

Members don't see this ad.

Very interested in peds derm. Currently a first year derm resident and thinking of targeting the northeast programs for fellowship since I’m from here and doing residency here as well (my program doesn’t have a peds fellowship though).

if I’m interested in programs like Boston children’s (Harvard), NYU, Columbia, etc…is there something I should be doing to make my app stronger aside from just currently trying to be the best resident I can be? My peeps in my class trying for Mohs are already working on several research projects each. Just wondering if I should have that same hustle.
My understanding is that peds-derm fellowships are wide open for pretty much any dermatology resident and that even the best programs are obtainable. Simply put there are an abundance of peds-derm fellowships and a paucity of residents who want to actually spend a year doing a peds-derm fellowships. The reason your co-residents are gunning for Mohs is because there is a ~50% match rate in comparision to a ~100% match rate to peds-derm. I'm sure the top programs are going to be somewhat competitive and research, networking, meetings/conferences, away electives, and strong letters from your home peds-dermatologists are likely to boost your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Not competitive. Pretty much take your pick. If you want to match at a specific program, it may help to rotate there just to get a feel for the program and make sure it is where you would like to train.

So you're one of the ones who said they may be interested in peds derm when you interviewed for residency and actually meant it? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It’s an extra year of training for a pay cut compared to general derm. People aren’t exactly beating down the doors for peds fellowships.

Reactions: 1 user