Can someone clarify this about LOR in Eras

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_MD_doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In ERAS on LOR page, you are asked to list the name of LOR writers, Title/Department of writer and the specialty this letter will be assigned. I don't understand what they mean by "specialty this letter will be assigned to." Does it mean that I should write Internal Medicine (IM) if I want this letter to be sent to IM programs? What if I want the same letter to be sent to IM, FP, surgery etc.? Can someone clarify this please?

Sorry if this has been asked before....just started working on ERAS so I am sort of nervous. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

future_MD_doc said:
In ERAS on LOR page, you are asked to list the name of LOR writers, Title/Department of writer and the specialty this letter will be assigned. I don't understand what they mean by "specialty this letter will be assigned to." Does it mean that I should write Internal Medicine (IM) if I want this letter to be sent to IM programs? What if I want the same letter to be sent to IM, FP, surgery etc.? Can someone clarify this please?

Sorry if this has been asked before....just started working on ERAS so I am sort of nervous. Thank you in advance.

I believe it's just for your ERAS coordinator at your school to know to affiliate the letter with your specialty for which you want to apply (i.e. if you want to be an IM doc, then put Internal Medicine...even if the letter was from a surgeon).

Pox in a box said:
I believe it's just for your ERAS coordinator at your school to know to affiliate the letter with your specialty for which you want to apply (i.e. if you want to be an IM doc, then put Internal Medicine...even if the letter was from a surgeon).

Also if you have "special" LORs, like one addressed directly to a program director. For example, "Letter Writer: Dr Babel; Specialty: To Dr. Kainz"

Program directors don't see the specialty info. Like Pox said, it's just to communicate to your ERAS coordinator about what LORs you want uploaded.

when assigning letters to a program, there are 4 letters you are allowed to assign. is this 3 letters from attendings, plus 1 letter served as the dean's letter, or can all 4 letters come from attendings?

I always thought the dean's letter was separate from these 4 LOR requests, but lately i've been hearing differently.

Thanks

foodcoma said:
when assigning letters to a program, there are 4 letters you are allowed to assign. is this 3 letters from attendings, plus 1 letter served as the dean's letter, or can all 4 letters come from attendings?

I always thought the dean's letter was separate from these 4 LOR requests, but lately i've been hearing differently.

Thanks

Dean's Letter is not an LOR. There's a seperate category for that. Since all applicants require a Dean's Letter and a transcript, you don't have to assign either as a "document".