Can relationships make it??

MDDesired

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: Okay.. I have absolutly always been interested in the medical field! Always! I tossed around with the idea of getting my MD but settled on the idea of getting my RN. Not a very confidence building enviroment I grew up in, to say the least my mom told me I couldn't make it.
I moved out, did a semester of college. Took one off to get my CNA to support myself.
Relationship: So I've been with my boyfriend for a little over 15 months! We love eachother and have decided we do want to get married but we both want to get our 4yrs first. He has given me the courage to take the step to go for my MD. However I know it is a very demanding long process to get through medical school. I was just wondering.. what's the secret? I really care about him and I want us to work out. It's my greatest fear of going after this, is no longer can I do it, but can I maintain my relationship through it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can, if you hold him one of the highest priorities in your life, and of course he holds you the same.

Spend time together as much as you can.

Think of it as a test of weather you will be a good fit for each other in hard times as well as you were in the "fun" times.

Relationship: So I've been with my boyfriend for a little over 15 months! We love eachother and have decided we do want to get married but we both want to get our 4yrs first. He has given me the courage to take the step to go for my MD. However I know it is a very demanding long process to get through medical school. I was just wondering.. what's the secret? I really care about him and I want us to work out. It's my greatest fear of going after this, is no longer can I do it, but can I maintain my relationship through it.

I work with a ton of doctors that have all kinds of backgrounds and histories. One of the most interesting was a NICU doc in Cuba, moved to the US where we don't recognize his medical degree, joined the Army, got trained through the Army to be a PA, deployed as a PA, still in the Army went back to school to get a medical degree here and is currently in his intern year. He is probably in his mid to late forties if I had to guess.

At the risk of sounding cliche, where there's a will there's a way. I just think that few have the will.

What I don't understand, and maybe you can explain this, is why getting married before or after your bachelors matters.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@Salmandrina

Waiting untill after my bachlors was my idea for two reasons. One, I made a promise to my grandmother that I would get and education first. Two, financially I was emancipated at 14 and he's a foster kid, well was, so we have to pay for it ourselfs. Much easier with a actual job vs. the CNA position I currently have.

@Salmandrina

Waiting untill after my bachlors was my idea for two reasons. One, I made a promise to my grandmother that I would get and education first. Two, financially I was emancipated at 14 and he's a foster kid, well was, so we have to pay for it ourselfs. Much easier with a actual job vs. the CNA position I currently have.

courthouse doesn't cost much.....:idea:

I think you can make it with hardwork, understanding, and communication.

It all depends on how understanding your significant other is. I dated girls that needed plenty of attention, and they never worked out. My wife is very understanding that I am sometimes slammed with work, puts up with pages going off in the middle of the night, etc. She is amazing!

I do notice that the vast majority of the physicians (men & women) that teach at the hospital I'm at don't have rings on their fingers. These folks would be in the prime 40 - 65 year age bracket.

Just sayin'.

It all depends on how understanding your significant other is. I dated girls that needed plenty of attention, and they never worked out. My wife is very understanding that I am sometimes slammed with work, puts up with pages going off in the middle of the night, etc. She is amazing!

And how tolerable/caring you are of other people. I know that when I'm studying/in the zone/whatever, my care and tolerance for other people just goes down significantly. :thumbdown: Self-centered jerk is what I was called on numerous occasions in my SMP. :laugh: Point is - it takes a lot of work on both parts and you being willing to do work in school and in your relationship.

I was just wondering.. what's the secret? I really care about him and I want us to work out. It's my greatest fear of going after this, is no longer can I do it, but can I maintain my relationship through it.
The secret is in the starting ingredients and in being open and understanding for what's to come. If you're both really dedicated to one another then you have a good beginning, but it's no guarantee.

It's likely that the major difficulty will come from the fact that you will be stressed and have less time for the relationship. Depending on your relationship and lifestyle up until this point this could be a major difficulty.

Both of you will need to recognize that your time will be limited. Your significant other likely won't be affected by that as much as you (as a generalization, men are generally OK with being aloof, while women are not). For your comfort and commitment to the relationship, it will be important for your significant other to be willing to work to your schedule, and to put that time in whenever he can. It can feel like playing second fiddle to someone else's life at times, but it's for the relationship.

Even when time is made for one another, you likely won't be as much "fun" as you were outside of medical school. Stress will do that to you. Your significant other should be open to that and as understanding as possible. For your part, you should do what you can to minimize stress (there may be something that your significant other can do to help with that), and be aware that you may not be yourself. If you get irritable and fight over something ridiculous, don't be afraid to be the one to apologize and let small matters slide. Don't go to bed with an unresolved argument. Keep your eye on the bigger picture in your relationship.

Aside from time, you'll likely be having a lot less sex than you are now (assuming you are). It's possible that you won't be affected, but many women in medical school complain about a reduced sex drive. Since you would be the one with the reduced sex drive, this probably would not bother you, but your significant other may experience sexual frustration. That can lead to insecurities on both your parts. It's manageable, but you'll both need to figure out how best to deal with it.

What it ultimately comes down to is how committed you are to each other and the other's happiness. Each relationship is different. The best dynamic (in my opinion) occurs when both people in the relationship dedicate a lot of their time, energy, and thoughts to the other person, going out of their way to try and make them happy and comfortable. It makes the other person feel appreciated, it makes you feel good about what you're doing, and it's largely self-sustainable because you keep feeling that you want to reciprocate and delight the other person. If you have that sort of dynamic and both people are understanding of the challenges ahead, I don't think you'll have any problem for medical school, and perhaps for the rest of your life.

For what it's worth, my situation was similar to yours: my wife (then-girlfriend) and I were dating for two years before she entered medical school. I went to graduate school at the same institution, so we were able to live together. We married in the middle of her second year. She's now at the beginning of her fourth year. Looking back, she was probably the most stressed during her first two years, and I probably felt my lowest during that time as I had to get used to spending less time with her and having a stressed version of her during those times. I know that when she enters residency there will be a whole new set of stress factors, but I feel like we've passed the worst parts of the "relationship stress test" imposed by medical school.

It can be done. Best of luck to the both of you.

I was married for a little over 1 year before starting medical school. It can be done, and easily so if both people are committed. I think given that you both are working for everything you have is probably a good indicator that you can succeed together if that type of understanding sticks around.

For what it's worth: both my wife and I are in school (me medicine, her MSN/DNP) and work jobs as well as having other commitments (research, hobbies, etc.). The time we spend together is kind of like catharsis from the rest of our lives. Savor your SO, and don't let other stressors affect your relationships.

:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was married for a little over 1 year before starting medical school. It can be done, and easily so if both people are committed. I think given that you both are working for everything you have is probably a good indicator that you can succeed together if that type of understanding sticks around.

For what it's worth: both my wife and I are in school (me medicine, her MSN/DNP) and work jobs as well as having other commitments (research, hobbies, etc.). The time we spend together is kind of like catharsis from the rest of our lives. Savor your SO, and don't let other stressors affect your relationships.

agreed, good relationships are awesome. the reason you see a lot of people single in the hospital is this:

a lot of people went right into medicine from undergrad. what this did was stunt their ability to mentally mature during that time. you find that there are a lot of selfish people in the medical field. the women in medical field are more so selfish and career driven than others. this is western culture of today and from the women's rights movement (sorry its true). so they play the field for a very long time. due to the lack of maturity and selfishness, you see a lot of people having affairs at the hospital, disregarding their relationships etc.

for this reason, you find a lot of people in hospital with no ring on the finger. it has nothing to do with work hours. because working in medicine and working in other higher paying jobs require work and hours.

PEOPLE MAKE THE TIME AND EFFORT WHEN THEY WANT IT. trust me

Last edited:
/

Last edited:
Very well said by mac_kin. I've never understood why some guys are only interested in housewives or have a negative view of career women.

You probably grew up somewhere in the Middle east or eastern europe, where your mother/grand-mother just stayed home and put dinner on the table and had to deal with angry/druken husbands (as the majority of eastern europeans do).

And this isn't "beyond offensive"?

Hello Pot, this is Kettle. Who're you calling black?

Admittedly, some of Pharmatope's points are inaccurate, biased, and plain old stupid. But come on now.....did you really need to stoop to that?

Last edited:
The secret is in the starting ingredients and in being open and understanding for what's to come. If you're both really dedicated to one another then you have a good beginning, but it's no guarantee.

It's likely that the major difficulty will come from the fact that you will be stressed and have less time for the relationship. Depending on your relationship and lifestyle up until this point this could be a major difficulty.

Both of you will need to recognize that your time will be limited. Your significant other likely won't be affected by that as much as you (as a generalization, men are generally OK with being aloof, while women are not). For your comfort and commitment to the relationship, it will be important for your significant other to be willing to work to your schedule, and to put that time in whenever he can. It can feel like playing second fiddle to someone else's life at times, but it's for the relationship.

Even when time is made for one another, you likely won't be as much "fun" as you were outside of medical school. Stress will do that to you. Your significant other should be open to that african mango review and as understanding as possible. For your part, you should do what you can to minimize stress (there may be something that your significant other can do to help with that), and be aware that you may not be yourself. If you get irritable and fight over something ridiculous, don't be afraid to be the one to apologize and let small matters slide. Don't go to bed with an unresolved argument. Keep your eye on the bigger picture in your relationship.

Aside from time, you'll likely be having a lot less sex than you are now (assuming you are). It's possible that you won't be affected, but many women in medical school complain about a reduced sex drive. Since you would be the one with the reduced sex drive, this probably would not bother you, but your significant other may experience sexual frustration. That can lead to insecurities on both your parts. It's manageable, but you'll both need to figure out how best to deal with it.

What it ultimately comes down to is how committed you are to each other and the other's happiness. Each relationship is different. The best dynamic (in my opinion) occurs when both people in the relationship dedicate a lot of their time, energy, and thoughts to the other person, going out of their way to try and make them happy and comfortable. It makes the other person feel appreciated, it makes you feel good about what you're doing, and it's largely self-sustainable because you keep feeling that you want to reciprocate and delight the other person. If you have that sort of dynamic and both people are understanding of the challenges ahead, I don't think you'll have any problem for medical school, and perhaps for the rest of your life.

For what it's worth, my situation was similar to yours: my wife (then-girlfriend) and I were dating for two years before she entered medical school. I went to graduate school at the same institution, so we were able to live together. We married in the middle of her second year. She's now at the beginning of her fourth year. Looking back, she was probably the most stressed during her first two years, and I probably felt my lowest during that time as I had to get used to spending less time with her and having a stressed version of her during those times. I know that when she enters residency there will be a whole new set of stress factors, but I feel like we've passed the worst parts of the "relationship stress test" imposed by medical school.

It can be done. Best of luck to the both of you.

Pretty well said! :D

It's definitely smart that you guys decided to finish your undergraduate degrees first. I think that you have a good chance of lasting through medical school not only because of the fact that you love each other, but also because he was there to encourage you about it.