Can post-bacc performance mitigate the influence of the worst of undergrad GPA trends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kahalaopuna

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I am able to find plenty of threads that touch on the significance of common poor gpa trends (i.e. steady downward trend, v-shaped trend, and bell shaped trend) in light of post-bacc performance, I have been unable to locate a thread that specifically highlights the trends I have. I've read that poor undergraduate GPA is a primary source of doubt of an applicant's abilities for adcoms and would like to know where I stand.

At this point, I believe I've done as much "repair" as possible as I am now experiencing a <0.01 cumulative GPA increase per 3 credits at a 4.0. My undergraduate GPA declined from a 3.6 to a 3.2 over the first three years then plummeted to an abysmal sub-3.0 during my last undergraduate year, leaving me with a 3.2cgpa/3.2sgpa. My post-bacc GPA is a 3.8 over 96 additional credits bringing me to an overall of 3.47cgpa/3.60sgpa.

It should also be noted that I experienced multiple extenuating circumstances over the course of years 2 through 4. I have four distinct events (some of which overlap) that affected my performance. I have encountered threads where each of these events alone were deemed extenuating circumstances and at least somewhat forgivable (they do not include any legal nor mental health issues... I am not comfortable revealing any additional details in an effort to preserve anonymity). I would really appreciate hearing if any of you have experiences with a similar trend.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a number of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. So yes, with a good MCAT score (513+ for MD; 510+ for your state MD or DO), you should be fine.

It's not about the cGPA anymore, but about the last 1-2 years, and you proving that the you of then is not the you of now.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a similar trend but honestly it was over 8+ years prior so the trend didn't really matter as compared to my recent coursework. If it was a long time ago, I honestly won't sweat it. On top of that, there is nothing to do about it except what you have done. I probably won't even dwell on in in my application (but that's my opinion). Just focus on the "now you" who did extremely well in your post-bacc.

I had very similar stats. Ended up with a very good MCAT score and attended my state MD school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a number of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. So yes, with a good MCAT score (513+ for MD; 510+ for your state MD or DO), you should be fine.

It's not about the cGPA anymore, but about the last 1-2 years, and you proving that the you of then is not the you of now.

how many credit hours should we maintain for those 1-2 years? For example, should we aim for having 30+ credit hours or 40+ credit hours of straight A's?

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm relieved to hear that I still have a shot at MD schools pending a good MCAT score. I have recently started studying for the MCAT and every bit of motivation helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I had a similar trend but honestly it was over 8+ years prior so the trend didn't really matter as compared to my recent coursework. If it was a long time ago, I honestly won't sweat it. On top of that, there is nothing to do about it except what you have done. I probably won't even dwell on in in my application (but that's my opinion). Just focus on the "now you" who did extremely well in your post-bacc.

Thank you for sharing your story. My undergrad trend will be 7+ years in the past when I apply next year. I'm relieved to hear that I don't have to dedicate too much of my application space to my undergrad trend... I have much more interesting experiences I would rather highlight.