Can physiatrsts handle foot and ankle issues?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GH253

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in musculoskeletal issues, the foot/ankle being among my favorite issues, but don't necessary want to go into podiatry. Can physiatrists handle foot and ankle issues, or do those patients invariably get referred to podiatrists?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in musculoskeletal issues, the foot/ankle being among my favorite issues, but don't necessary want to go into podiatry. Can physiatrists handle foot and ankle issues, or do those patients invariably get referred to podiatrists?

1)yes I treat foot/ankle problems every week. If they need surgery or custom orthotics I refer to podiatry or to a ortho foot/ankle surgeon (depending upon the problem) If you know your biomechanics, you can take care of most foot/ankle problems.

Non-surgical foot/ankle injuries are physiatry bread and butter. Ligamentous ankle injuries probably represent the most common sports related injury. Syndesmotic injuries, Lisfranc injuries, Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis (I always get a run of these this time of year as the weather gets warmer and women change their shoes), OA/RA deformities, gout, etc.

These patients will get referred directly to podiatry or ortho when the referral source is unaware of what physiatry has to offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get a fair amount of referrals for podiatry - chronic pain, EMG's, some injections under fluoro. I feel the foot is one of my weaker areas and I'm always working on it, but it is more complex than many other areas of the body. If you can establish yourself as a foot and ankle expert, you'll have all the patients you can want and more. Everyone's feet hurt.

Very cool. Thanks for the answers guys.