Can pharmacy schools discriminate against religion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

313heros

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to a pharmacy school

In compliance with all applicable state and federal law, including provisions of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, * does not illegally discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, or military service in admissions; in the administration of its education policies, programs, or activities; or in employment.

Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its purposes. Persons who believe their rights under this policy have been violated should contact the Office of the President.

Should i be concerned if i belong to a certain religious group?

Members don't see this ad.

Why this concern? Are you applying to a religious university?

If not, the only advice I would give would be not to discuss your religion on your application, as it may be seen as irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
no

Last edited:
This may sound absurd, but to a certain extent they can. One stipulation in that act that you didn't mention was that in the actual fine print it says schools that receive federal funding. Since private schools do not receive federal funding, they can be bias in their admissions process. Why would you want to go to a pharmacy school that you think may decline you based on your religion? I didn't apply to a religious pharmacy school that is 45 minutes away from me because religion has never been a big part of my life.

Well, I mean... We once had a guest speaker that was a Christian scientist.

If someone that believes medication is against their religion applied to a college of pharmacy, should that be taken into consideration?