Can one do HPSP for just 1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could one do the HPSP for just their final year of dental school? I doubt you'd get any bonus then but would you still get the $2,000/mo? Also are you pretty much guaranteed to be deployed then during your 1 year of service you would have to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I think 2 year HPSP is as low as they go. They may have 1 year HPSP scholarships, but that would also require a 3-year payback obligation (which I believe is why 1 or 2 year ones are rare). If you take the 20K sign-on bonus, you have a 4-year payback obligation.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
eca501f82483cf063f73045316c8c2a1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
If you're that much on the fence about joining the military, why are you even considering it? You know you could just apply for NHSC instead and not worry about being deployed right (even though I think it would be much more hazardous to work in certain inner city areas than on a ship or base)? You even stated that you're not interested in serving the country at all and you're solely doing this for the money so if I were you, I would look at other opportunities because boy, judging from all your posts and questions, it sounds like you're gonna be one depressed son of a gun once youre in the military.

Reactions: 1 user
You even stated that you're not interested in serving the country at all and you're solely doing this for the money so if I were you, I would look at other opportunities because boy, judging from all your posts and questions, it sounds like you're gonna be one depressed son of a gun once youre in the military.

Further the OP believes there will only be one year of obligation instead of a minimum of three without the bonus and four with it!