Can I tell a program "You're #1?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YOOOUK09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I tell my first choice program straight-up: "You are my first choice and I am ranking you #1?"

From reading this, I believe that I can. In brief below:

6.0 Restrictions on Persuasion One of the purposes of the Matching Program is to allow both applicants and programs to make selection decisions on a uniform schedule and without coercion or undue or unwarranted pressure. Both applicants and programs may express their interest in each other; however, they shall not solicit verbal or written statements implying a commitment. It is a breach of the applicable Match Participation Agreement for either party to suggest or inform the other that placement on a rank order list is contingent upon submission of a verbal or written statement indicating ranking intentions. In addition, it is a breach of the applicable Match Participation Agreement for a program and applicant in the Matching Program to make any verbal or written contract for appointment to a concurrent year residency or fellowship position prior to the Matching Program. Only the final preferences of programs and applicants, as expressed on their final certified rank order lists, will determine the offering of positions and the placement of applicants through the Matching Program.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that you can tell a program whatever you'd like-- just don't ask them where they'll be ranking you.

I'd be careful not to seem like you're trying to game the system or pushing for a response. And I know that some students have lied in the past-- the program may not necessarily believe you if they've been lied to before.

If you tell a program they are your #1 choice in November, they are going to either assume you tell everybody that, or that you aren't getting many interviews. Many folks will still be going on interviews through January. I don't think this kind of communication is going to sway anyone, but I'd think it makes sense to sit on this kind of statement until closer to January.

If you tell a program they are your #1 choice in November, they are going to either assume you tell everybody that, or that you aren't getting many interviews. Many folks will still be going on interviews through January. I don't think this kind of communication is going to sway anyone, but I'd think it makes sense to sit on this kind of statement until closer to January.

I'm just planning ahead for my second looks. I know I have to tell my number 1 something to let them know I'm interested, but I didn't know how far I could go. (I would have hated to lose my #1 by being unprofessional by telling them I'm ranking them #1)

It seems like everyone agrees that this isn't going too far?

As it so happens, I think I did just interview at the place I'll eventually rank #1. . . I had initially scheduled the "more competitive" places in Jan so that I would have more interview experience prior to going there . . . but I don't think I want to go to a super-competitive place in a large city anyway. . . I've found medium size, high quality residency in a cost-friendly place I've always wanted to live. Plus I'll get my fellowship from there, no problem.

I'm excited about it, and know I'll eventually have to return there for a second look to double check my own thoughts and also to deliver my "You're my number 1 program" in person. Thanks!

I have told my number one that I consider them my number one. I have several reasons for choosing them as #1; they are really excellent, I like the location, and my SO is in the area. :)

It was so easy to like the program, and I have been looking at them for several years so I don't see any reason not to just tell them the truth. Especially having a partner nearby and wanting to be geographically close to him, no sense in not being honest about that.

I would definitely recommend that you tell them at some point. It can't hurt.
Agree with above comment that it may be better to wait another month or so...but if you have compelling reasons then it may not be too early to tell them they are your #1. Tell them WHY they are your #1 as well.

I would definitely recommend that you tell them at some point. It can't hurt.
Agree with above comment that it may be better to wait another month or so...but if you have compelling reasons then it may not be too early to tell them they are your #1. Tell them WHY they are your #1 as well.

Doesn't matter what compelling reasons there are -- it still makes sense to wait until closer to January. Telling a program they are #1 isn't as meaningful when they know you may still have a lot of time for interviews and may still change your mind. I mean, tons of people come out of their first interview thinking it's their #1, and that stays true until they see the second place. So sit on this a while. Tell them when they can buy that you have finished looking around and made an informed decision.

Doesn't matter what compelling reasons there are -- it still makes sense to wait until closer to January.

Law2,

I politely disagree with you here. Surely, people will have individual reasons for what they are doing? I do not think this is a 'one size fits all' situation.

You're both right.

If you come and interview at my program first, never having been here, and say "Wow, this is my #1", you look pretty stupid. How would you know?

If you interview at my program first, have rotated at / been researching it / contacted me in the past / point out that your SO lives here, and it's clear that for all of those reasons this will still be your #1, then there's nothing wrong with telling me that and given the story, it makes sense.

However, Law2Doc is slightly "righter". There is always the chance that you'll interview somewhere else, or even get a late interview offer you were'nt expecting, be completely blown away, decide that despite the SO issue that this is now your #1, and then it looks bad.

But, since people promise me all the time that I'm their #1, and then match elsewhere, it really doesn't matter. I'm over that.

You're both right.

If you come and interview at my program first, never having been here, and say "Wow, this is my #1", you look pretty stupid. How would you know?

If you interview at my program first, have rotated at / been researching it / contacted me in the past / point out that your SO lives here, and it's clear that for all of those reasons this will still be your #1, then there's nothing wrong with telling me that and given the story, it makes sense.

However, Law2Doc is slightly "righter". There is always the chance that you'll interview somewhere else, or even get a late interview offer you were'nt expecting, be completely blown away, decide that despite the SO issue that this is now your #1, and then it looks bad.

But, since people promise me all the time that I'm their #1, and then match elsewhere, it really doesn't matter. I'm over that.
I like the way you think. You're my #1, even if my SO doesn't live there.

I think the simple answer is "Don't tell a program they are your #1 unless you are sure you mean it." If you have more interviews to go, don't say it yet, even if you are convinced you won't like those places as much.

And it should go without saying that you should not tell a program they are your #1 if they really aren't. And you shouldn't tell more than one program this. You will look like an idiot if they rank you #1 but you don't match there (because that means they were not #1 on your list). AProgDirector may not be as concerned, but some others would - especially if you then want to do a fellowship there or something.

From a moral/ethical standpoint I agree with you yaah...
However, the reason that some students tell >1 program it is their number one is that they know it can and may influence how the program ranks them. For example, if you tell Harvard they are your #1 but they just didn't want you that bad and they still rank you #28 for their program (which only has 20 spots) then you just used up your, "You're my number 1!" statement and you are hosed. However, if you told Harvard that, and then you told U of random state U hospital they were your #1 also, and they moved you up from rank #25 to rank #22 because of that (and they had 22 spots) then you just got yourself a residency spot by telling the two programs that they were your #1. I'm not saying I think people should go around telling 8 different places "you are my #1" but there are reasons people do this - it sometimes helps them match better than they would have otherwise. If the programs were a little more objective perhaps, and didn't base rankings as much on subjective judgments like how much they think you want to go there (which they might be totally wrong about) then I don't think so many applicants would lay it on thick about how "this place is my #1". It always made me want to puke a little and I used to wonder why folks did that, but the reason why is that it CAN change how the program ranks you, and not making such declarative statements can actually hurt you if you are someone "on the cusp" of being ranked high enough to match there.

However, Law2Doc is slightly "righter".

I think I'm gonna make that a bumper sticker. :)

Every residency program has had plenty of folks over the years tell them they are #1 and not end up coming. So they generally take this kind of statement with a grain of salt. Meaning it doesn't matter whether you tell a program they are #1, tell every program they are #1 or no program they are #1 -- odds are it won't change anyone's behavior. Enough unethical people in prior years already ruined this for everyone.

In the true spirit of the match, it really shouldn't matter, as everyone "should" rank people in the order that they want them. Trying to rank applicants who will rank you high higher only serves to boost the ego of a PD who doesn't want to move that far down his match list.

In the true spirit of the match, it really shouldn't matter, as everyone "should" rank people in the order that they want them. Trying to rank applicants who will rank you high higher only serves to boost the ego of a PD who doesn't want to move that far down his match list.

Sure. But PD's do, in fact, consider it bragging rights to be able to say they didn't go far down their list. Sort of like drafting a fantasy football team and getting every player you wanted.

Sure. But PD's do, in fact, consider it bragging rights to be able to say they didn't go far down their list. Sort of like drafting a fantasy football team and getting every player you wanted.

:laugh: Of course since no one really knows how far you went down your list, and everyone is largely lying about everything anyway, the crafty PD could simply claim that his incoming residents are entirely composed of his top choices.

:laugh: Of course since no one really knows how far you went down your list, and everyone is largely lying about everything anyway, the crafty PD could simply claim that his incoming residents are entirely composed of his top choices.

I'm pretty sure the NRMP keeps stats. Which is why they are able to tell you after each match what percentage of seniors matched into one of their top three slots, etc. The magic of computers.

You guys are a bunch of cynics. :smuggrin:

I have spent time in the area of my chosen program, spent time in their program and know several of the residents. I have always been honest with them, and have never really changed what I say to them.

I am too old to be playing the 'like me' game. Plenty of programs kind of didn't like me, some liked me pretty well, and some really, really liked me. The ones that really, really liked me - not surprisingly - I also really, really liked. I think it's hard to really BS a program, people can tell when you are insincere.

Well, I am going for FM and we seem to be a pretty down to earth bunch for the most part. It's not like IM or some other super competitive programs where you are freaking out to just get a spot in rads or whatever.

PS - Dr aPD! you are going to give Law2 a swelled head now. What have you done!?!?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the NRMP keeps stats. Which is why they are able to tell you after each match what percentage of seniors matched into one of their top three slots, etc. The magic of computers.

I knew that they kept stats for matching (and I guess for open scramble spots as well). I know that they keep average score of a matched applicant and average size of rank list data as well. I'd be a little surprised if they kept stats on the specific spot in the rank list in which every program filled their final spot. If you know something about this though, I'd be quite interested to know. ;)

I knew that they kept stats for matching (and I guess for open scramble spots as well). I know that they keep average score of a matched applicant and average size of rank list data as well. I'd be a little surprised if they kept stats on the specific spot in the rank list in which every program filled their final spot. If you know something about this though, I'd be quite interested to know. ;)

They do not release this data, ever.

They used to tell medical schools how many of their students matched at their #1, #2, etc. Then some medical schools started bragging about the percent #1 matches. Then other medical schools started actually encouraging students to not rank longshots, to improve their #1 rank.

Needless to say, when the NRMP found out, results like this were no longer released.

They do not release this data, ever.

They used to tell medical schools how many of their students matched at their #1, #2, etc. Then some medical schools started bragging about the percent #1 matches. Then other medical schools started actually encouraging students to not rank longshots, to improve their #1 rank.

Needless to say, when the NRMP found out, results like this were no longer released.

Thanks aPD, that's kind of what I thought

yeah, i know of one medical school (ahem, mine), that does sometimes discourage longshots to up their % #1 rankings. So my plan is to tell places they are one of my top choices (get around that whole multiple #1 delemna). Depending on the place, some PD's say, dont send me anything, I wont believe you anyways if you say I am your #1, and it wont affect anything. Other places I have been to say, If you want to come to my program, let me know. So it all depends. I hate the match.

I think it depends on what field you're applying to.

In Psych, for example, even great programs struggle to fill sometimes (one of the Harvard programs had to scramble 2 spots last year). So in psych PD's have a vested interest in not only ranking their top choices, but ranking people who they think will rank them high as well. This is important because in psych you should def tell your #1 they are your #1.

Now in plastics or derm or rad onc or something that may be another story. . . but I can't speak to that.

At this point, all I'm saying (very selectively) is that I anticipate ranking the program highly.

My field is small, and chairmen talk, so it would be unwise to tell more than one program that they are #1. Nonetheless, there will be at least three programs at the top of my list that are too evenly matched to rank easily. And I'm only halfway through my interviews.

Now in plastics or derm or rad onc or something that may be another story. . . but I can't speak to that.

How do you approach the issue of "You are my #1" in those fields?

They're small enough that I feel it would be wasted if a longshop applicant informed an extremely prestigious program. How far can an applicant really shoot up if they're only taking 3 students per year anyway?

At the same time, this goes against the basic premise of "Rank programs based on where you want to go and not where you're likely to end up."

After all, if I tell my home program they're my #1, I would have to honor that and rank them #1 even if I didn't want to.

(Or conversely, if I tell a small program where I did an away that they're my #1, I would have to honor that and rank them #1 even if I didn't want to)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

How do you approach the issue of "You are my #1" in those fields?

At the same time, this goes against the basic premise of "Rank programs based on where you want to go and not where you're likely to end up."

After all, if I tell my home program they're my #1, I would have to honor that and rank them #1 even if I didn't want to.

(Or conversely, if I tell a small program where I did an away that they're my #1, I would have to honor that and rank them #1 even if I didn't want to)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

Technically, you are under no obligation (except based on your own ethics/moral standards) to honor that. NRMP makes it very clear that verbal commitments have no bearing on the match process. Telling a program they are your #1 does not mean you have to rank them #1. Conversely, a program telling you that they are going to rank YOU #1 also means nothing. The NRMP discourages this, because what people say does not matter, only how they submit their rank lists.

thats why you should rank based on your preference, not what programs tell you or where you think you will go. It doesnt matter if I rank a program 1, or 10, when it comes down to it, if i really am that schools number 1 (or in your example in their top three), then I will match at that school. I recommend just being honest. If you want to go to a program and think sending a letter will help or you just think its polite then go ahead and do it! Tell them what you think you should.

Technically, you are under no obligation (except based on your own ethics/moral standards) to honor that. NRMP makes it very clear that verbal commitments have no bearing on the match process. Telling a program they are your #1 does not mean you have to rank them #1. Conversely, a program telling you that they are going to rank YOU #1 also means nothing. The NRMP discourages this, because what people say does not matter, only how they submit their rank lists.

I would like to think that as a profession we have higher moral standards than to flat out lie to our colleagues!

I told them "you had me at hello!"
I think they got the message...
:D

If one wrote a couple of lines in a 'thank you' note intentions to rank a program highly, and the response from the program was something along the lines of the applicant being a competitive candidate and having much to offer that program and hoping to see the applicant there next year, should one not think he/she would be ranked at all? Are these just generic statements said to all applicants to maintain their interest in the program? Sorry for the run-on sentence :)

If one wrote a couple of lines in a 'thank you' note intentions to rank a program highly, and the response from the program was something along the lines of the applicant being a competitive candidate and having much to offer that program and hoping to see the applicant there next year, should one not think he/she would be ranked at all? Are these just generic statements said to all applicants to maintain their interest in the program? Sorry for the run-on sentence :)

It's not a bad sign, but it's not binding in any way. There are ALWAYS stories about programs telling applicants "You are ranked to match", applicant ranks them first, *BAM* don't match there.

Unless program specifically tells you (unsolicited of course) where you are on the rank list, nothing they say means anything. They can tell you "Ranked very highly" without your name even being on their rank list.

It's not a bad sign, but it's not binding in any way. There are ALWAYS stories about programs telling applicants "You are ranked to match", applicant ranks them first, *BAM* don't match there.

Unless program specifically tells you (unsolicited of course) where you are on the rank list, nothing they say means anything. They can tell you "Ranked very highly" without your name even being on their rank list.

even if they they specifically tell you, it doesnt mean anything. only what they actually submit. same goes for you telling a program they are #1.

salsero,
that letter doesn't mean much. It's not a bad sign, but don't take it as sign they will rank you high enough to match. They might have sent such a letter to 40 people. You should rank the program YOU like best as your #1.

It's good to tell your #1 program that they are your number one program. If you don't, they might not rank you high enough to match. You may want to wait until most interviews are over before telling a program they are your #1, if you are not sure.

Technically, it would be a bit unethical to tell multiple programs they are your #1. However, there are programs that may blatantly tell you, "If you want to go here, you need to let me [usually the PD] know". That is generally code for telling you that if you don't plan to rank them #1, they aren't interested in having you there. So that is a not so subtle form of pressuring the applicants. In those situations you have to decide whether you the applicant are willing to bend the rules a little bit...you can bet that many others will.

Most applicants who are competitive in their chosen field and who go to enough interviews will match, but sometimes it is necessary to be a little bit ruthless to get what you want. You have to decide what you are comfortable doing. It could definitely be fraught with danger (not to mention kind of shady on your part) to tell 10 different programs in your field you are ranking them first, particularly if it's some small field where many of the PD's might know each other. On the other hand, an applicant in a competitive field who fails to "show enough interest" by not telling any programs at all they are his #1 might end up not matching at all. Remember this is like a game of musical chairs in which some folks won't have a chair when the music stops. This is a dilemma faced by medical students and residents every year, in every specialty that has a Match. Your medical school career or dean's office probably has good advice for dealing with this, when it gets closer to the time that programs will be making their rank order lists.

I have had several programs tell me to let them know if I am interested, as that will affect how they rank me. In FM I wonder if they really want to hear it unequivacably from the applicant because sometimes they interview a ton of people.

The two top programs for me, my #1 (yeah!) and then my #2 (a great program but far from my SO), both are pretty tight lipped and cool but have expressed their interest in me in less overt ways. This makes sense to me, as they can easily fill their programs with super people. They don't need to pin an applicant down to fill their programs.

That is why I figured it didn't hurt to just be honest. I am not used to all this gamesmanship and was just being myself with my #1. Plus, plenty of programs told me to tell them if I was seriously interested in them so that then they could rank me as well. I am nervous but I hope this all works out. :scared:

I'm rooting for you, peerie!

Perhaps I am naive and too honest, but would you really want to end up at a program that says you are ranked highly when in reality you aren't?

Conversely, would a program want an applicant who lies about their ranking of the program?

Last year, I told the truth- if I liked a program, and I was given some hint that they were inquiring about my feelings, I said it was in my top 3. I really only had 3 programs at which I would have been happy, so I didn't lie at all. My 3 top choices gave me hints that I would be welcome there/ranked highly, and I took them at face value. I ended up at my #1, so I am very satisfied with how I placed my trust.

All the artiface/strategy/game playing is not for me. I'm just not type-kissing-A enough to lie well.

salsero,
that letter doesn't mean much. It's not a bad sign, but don't take it as sign they will rank you high enough to match. They might have sent such a letter to 40 people. You should rank the program YOU like best as your #1.

It's good to tell your #1 program that they are your number one program. If you don't, they might not rank you high enough to match. You may want to wait until most interviews are over before telling a program they are your #1, if you are not sure.

Technically, it would be a bit unethical to tell multiple programs they are your #1. However, there are programs that may blatantly tell you, "If you want to go here, you need to let me [usually the PD] know". That is generally code for telling you that if you don't plan to rank them #1, they aren't interested in having you there. So that is a not so subtle form of pressuring the applicants. In those situations you have to decide whether you the applicant are willing to bend the rules a little bit...you can bet that many others will.

Most applicants who are competitive in their chosen field and who go to enough interviews will match, but sometimes it is necessary to be a little bit ruthless to get what you want. You have to decide what you are comfortable doing. It could definitely be fraught with danger (not to mention kind of shady on your part) to tell 10 different programs in your field you are ranking them first, particularly if it's some small field where many of the PD's might know each other. On the other hand, an applicant in a competitive field who fails to "show enough interest" by not telling any programs at all they are his #1 might end up not matching at all. Remember this is like a game of musical chairs in which some folks won't have a chair when the music stops. This is a dilemma faced by medical students and residents every year, in every specialty that has a Match. Your medical school career or dean's office probably has good advice for dealing with this, when it gets closer to the time that programs will be making their rank order lists.

Way to crush my confidence dragonfly99! :D Just kidding. I understand and I know you are right. The program that told me those things is actually going to be in my top 3 for sure, and so I will definitely be going back for a second look and contacting the PD before they rank if it moves up to #1 on my list. Thanks for the advice!

I think this is an interesting ethical point. It's happened to me twice where programs essentially told me that I need to tell them they're my number 1 in order to match there. These were medium quality small programs that fill every year but probably have to be strategic in order to do so. I think a program that strongly hints at this to me is at least breaking the spirit of the match, if not the letter of the match law itself. So would I behave unethically (by telling them they are my #1 when in reality they are not) in response to their unethical behavior?

Since two wrongs make a right, I think I do.

No, just kidding. In any event, these programs won't even likely be my #2 so I won't worry about it and I might not want to go there anyway. :cool:

My problem is that there's quite a long list of programs where I'd be happy to match, and not much separation between them in my mind. It's like the difference between statistical significance and clinical significance. Yes, I can rank them easily, but they're all very good and will train me well. The differences are mostly icing on the cake. I wouldn't be at all unhappy to match at places I anticipate ranking as far down as #12 or 13.

I'd like to tell them all that I'm ranking them highly, but clearly that won't be true. And I want them all to rank me highly, but honestly in my field, I've been told it works more like a football draft where at least the first round picks are decided in advance between chairmen, and the match is somewhat of a formality with more surprises for us than for them. And I don't have a chairman to make phone calls on my behalf, so I'm at a disadvantage that I don't know how to overcome.

I realize no one here could possibly have much advice for that kind of situation, but I just needed to vent. Some fields are just too small NOT to subvert the intent of the match. The match relies on each party to choose independently of all others, in order to achieve the best possible outcome for each. Or at least for the vast majority of parties to do so. And that just doesn't happen in my field.

I think it's wonderful that you have such an open and positive attitude about the programs you've visited. You are absolutely right--no matter where you go, you will be well trained as long as the program is accredited and the residents and faculty seem happy.

My advice would be to tell your top five programs that they are ranked high and the rest that you would be very happy to be part of their training program. That's a positive message without making a commitment.

I like the "your in my top 3" statement. I'm a horrible liar and don't even bother with it, but I haven't quite figured out how to express my interest to my top programs. In all honesty, I would be happy to train at about 7 progs right now, but obviously prefer some over others. Reading your answers and suggestions have shed some light though ;)

So, what do you guys think about the pre-match thing? too ballsy? rude?
I only ask this because I'm a DO applying to allo residencies, and technically they can sign me outside of the match because I would be considered an independent applicant.

Do what I did-after the interview day, redo your 4th year schedule to include an elective rotation there. I was asked repeatedly about that on the interview day, so I did it right after and included the info about my newly arranged away rotation in the thank you note that I sent.

...keeping up with the discussion, some PDs/ interviewers have told me that letting them know they are at the top of my list come Feb. is important as that will somehow alter their decision? It has been stressed before that letting a program know they are being ranked highly by the applicant is an important move. How does this work and why do they care? Can't they just go further down the list without that knowledge? Any insight?

Here is my dilemma: There is not much separation in preference between my #1 and #2. I would be ecstatic to match at either one equally. The thing is that I feel like my #1 choice may not rank me highly, whereas my #2 choice may rank me highly. So in dealing with my #2 program, should I tell them that I will rank them #2? Or should I say something like, "I will rank your program no lower than #2" or "Your program is in my top 2"? I dont want to be dishonest, but I feel that if I told both programs they are my #1, I may increase my chances at my real #1, while adding more insurance to my #2.

Not sure how to handle this situation, any advice is welcome, thanks!!

Well, for what it's worth this is what I did.

I told my #1 "you are my number 1," and gave them the reasons etc. Just because they are MY number one does not necessarily mean that I am THEIR number 1-6 (or whatever). Still, I was honest and thought that was the best I could be.

The other top programs I like I said things like: I would like to come and be a resident with you or other pretty clear things. Plus, I was enthusiastic on the interview day and it was genuine. I did not tell others they were any number in particular, because it sounded lame to me to say you are in my top three or whatever.

One thing I did see over and over is that when I mentioned where I wanted to end up practicing, several faculty and PDs said they knew the program director at #1 or neighboring programs very well. I have to assume that they talk and so - well, honesty seems the best policy. :)

I still have more interviews... so it will be two weeks before I will even know for sure who my #1 is. Programs are contacting me and telling me they are ranking me highly, so I guess some programs have made their lists already. I'll still contact them, I guess, late as it will be.

I still have more interviews... so it will be two weeks before I will even know for sure who my #1 is. Programs are contacting me and telling me they are ranking me highly, so I guess some programs have made their lists already. I'll still contact them, I guess, late as it will be.

None of these lists are still in stone until the end of Feb; a lot of the programs telling you they are ranking you highly still may be interviewing and still may change their lists as other applicants impress them. You aren't late to contact them.

No one is contacting me telling me anything. Nor did they tell me anything during my interviews. And I am finished interviewing (except one more). Should I be worried?

No one is contacting me telling me anything. Nor did they tell me anything during my interviews. And I am finished interviewing (except one more). Should I be worried?

There is NOTHING that says programs have to contact anyone to let them know where an applicant stands. This has been told to me at almost all interviews.

Usually they say, "we play by the rules, and we won't contact anyone no matter how much we like you."

Not that TELLING is a match violation, but some are super careful.

There is NOTHING that says programs have to contact anyone to let them know where an applicant stands. This has been told to me at almost all interviews.

Usually they say, "we play by the rules, and we won't contact anyone no matter how much we like you."

Not that TELLING is a match violation, but some are super careful.

Agreed, although as I was informed on another thread, the DO match doesn't have as stringent rules on communication as the allo match. I'd say the norm is for the program not to tip their hand.